Question about Restoring iPhone backup...

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys. I had a 16gb 6+ and returned in favor of a 64gb. I'm trying to restore from the backup I made and I can't do it. Is itunes identifying this as a different iphone or something? How can I force it to restore the backup I made from the earlier phone? thanks!

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to just select the iPhone backup to restore the phone to.

For example, the original iPhone 6 was named "Akugami Old iPhone" and that's what the name of the backup will be in iTunes.

When I get the new iPhone, and I activate it for the first time, I set it as a new iPhone. I'll name it "Akugami New iPhone." In iTunes, I should be able to go into the phone's management page, then select the "Akugami Old iPhone" backup to restore this phone to.

Mar 16, 2005
restore from iCloud backup is even easier (assuming you already backed up your old phone).

on your new phone,

Settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings

your phone will return to brand new, out of the box. in the intial setup screens, restore from icloud backup and enter apple ID and password.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hey guys. I had a 16gb 6+ and returned in favor of a 64gb. I'm trying to restore from the backup I made and I can't do it. Is itunes identifying this as a different iphone or something? of course it is a different phone! Why would iTunes recognize the phone as the same one?? Not an issue!!How can I force it to restore the backup I made from the earlier phone? thanks!
That should not even be an issue at all!! I recently did what you did! Only I backed everything up to iTunes......not one issue restoring my backup onto my new iPhone!!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
What iOS version is on the new phone? If the old phone was on later version, that backup won't restore to earlier iOS.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What iOS version is on the new phone? If the old phone was on later version, that backup won't restore to earlier iOS.
You can definitely restore from a previous backup in iTunes. Apple has released a guide on how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766. If this does not help, you can use a 3rd party app that would extract the contents of the backup. I recommend iPhone Backup Extractor. You should be able to import most of the files back to your phone. Here are the files in an iTunes backup, including photos and videos: http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/blo...

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
No issue is you can't use a backup made on a later iOS revision. Specifically, if his old phone was on 8.1 while the new one is on 8.0.2

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
No issue is you can't use a backup made on a later iOS revision. Specifically, if his old phone was on 8.1 while the new one is on 8.0.2

The main thing to keep in mind when restoring backups between devices is that you cannot restore a backup made with a newer iOS version onto a device that is running an older iOS version. In most cases, however, this simply means that you need to update your other device to the latest iOS version, and should only be a problem if you’re moving back to a significantly older iOS device where the most recent iOS version is no longer supported. In the case of the iPhone, however, every model back to and including the iPhone 3GS from 2009 still supports iOS 6.1. Note as well that this restriction doesn’t apply to the minor “0.0.1” iOS updates, so even though the latest version of iOS for the iPhone 5 is 6.1.4 while only iOS 6.1.3 is available for the iPhone 4S, you shouldn’t have a problem.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/restoring-an-icloud-backup-to-an-older-iphone/

BomeBome

May 15, 2015
Anyone know where else to look for iTunes backups on the PC hard drive? I just ran iPhone Backup Extractor and could only find one backup file from 2 days ago that doesn't have the data I need. Is it possible that subsequent iTunes syncs have purged the older data?

Last edited: