Question about replacing CRTs with LCDs

TC10284

Nov 1, 2005
Hey all,

I was thinking about replacing all/most of my 19" CRTs at home with 19" LCDs.
My few quick questions:
I am assuming that the LCDs will save some on power. Does anyone know how much? Does anyone know how much (less) heat the LCDs will put out?

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Typical 19in CRT is around 100w+ when running (not in power saving mode etc.).

Typical 19in LCD uses less than 20w typically when powered on and in use.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Typical 19in CRT is around 100w+ when running (not in power saving mode etc.).

Typical 19in LCD uses less than 20w typically when powered on and in use.

It's higher than that, more like 40-50W for modern LCDs with their bright backlights. It's still much lower than CRTs of a comparable size though, which are about 80W.

In general, the LCD power usage depends a lot on the size of the monitor, while CRT power usage is fairly similar across the different sizes. You get very high power savings with LCDs of small sizes, but much less so at the 20" range or higher.

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
The biggest question is how long your monitors run on a daily basis. You use this usage rate to determine the time to recover your investment, then time to start saving money post-investment.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
19" LCD - 45w
19" CRT - 100w

You should also factor in the additional air conditioning load during summer months due to the increased power consumption of the CRT. This will vary by area as cooler climates will be affected to a much lesser degree than warmer areas.

ViewSonic Monitor University

TC10284

Nov 1, 2005
Originally posted by: alaricljs
The biggest question is how long your monitors run on a daily basis. You use this usage rate to determine the time to recover your investment, then time to start saving money post-investment.

Well I was hoping to replace all of my CRTs since that's all I have currently. The one I use the most is on my office system, which stays on from around 9:00 AM until 12:00 AM (besides going into power-save mode after 20 minutes). Others that are on usually are my workbenches where I work on PCs. My other CRTs usually stay off unless I need to get on that system of course. I may get a 19/20" LCD for my main system and 15/17" for my workbench and wait until the other CRTs go out to replace with LCDs.