Question about pump shotguns

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
I was thinking about picking up a used 12 gauge at a gun shop. The pump part is a bit wobbly on it. Is this normal with age? All the used pump shotguns they have at that shop have the lose pumps.

I figure with use this happens? Or, does this eventually become a major problem on the gun and make it unusable? Anything I could do to fix it?

Thanks.

May 31, 2001
It's hard to tell from your description, since even a new one tends to have a bit of play in it, depending on the gun. Honestly, a good Mossberg pump shotgun costs little enough new that I would be hard pressed to find a reason to purchase one from a pawn shop, especially considering that most pawn shops I have seen tend to sell beat-up used guns for as much as their new counterparts.

You might try going to a gun shop and ask to handle a shotgun like the one you are viewing at the pawn shop so you can compare. Plus you can check the price, too. ;)

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. I thought you said pawn shop, not gun shop. :eek:

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
What make is it? What gauge? How old? How much? That would be a start.

They should have some play, but the other details are important.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: leftyman
what did the gunshop guy say about it?

Normal with use...but I just want to make sure. I don't know if he was saying that to make a sale or if its true.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: 0

I didn't even pay attention to the make and model...they had a couple. $100 to $120 for a 12 gauge. I am sure they are older...maybe 15 years or so.

They do not have horrible play in the pump...just a bit.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: mattocs
I was thinking about picking up a used 12 gauge at a gun shop. The pump part is a bit wobbly on it. Is this normal with age? All the used pump shotguns they have at that shop have the lose pumps.

I figure with use this happens? Or, does this eventually become a major problem on the gun and make it unusable? Anything I could do to fix it?

Thanks.

Depends on the gun, every gun has some play to it. For example, theres only one AR15 stock on the market that dosent wiggle.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002

I didn't even pay attention to the make and model...they had a couple. $100 to $120 for a 12 gauge. I am sure they are older...maybe 15 years or so.

No attention at all? Jeez. And people on this board call me clueless.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: PAB

No attention at all? Jeez. And people on this board call me clueless.

One was a Mossberg and one was a Remington. Low end models from probably 10 to 20 years ago. I didn't write down models because I was was just browsing.

Possibly a model 500 for the Mossberg and 870 for the Remington? The 500 is $200 new and the 870 is $240 new...so if the play could be an issue down the road, I was going to end up just buying new.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
If you paid $100 more you could get a decent, new shotgun. Unless you're looking for some special style that is usually $2000 to buy new, I don't see any reason to buy a used shotgun.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
My brand new Mossberg 590a1 has a little bit of play in it also, I doesn't sound like a problem with what you are describing.

darrontrask

Nov 23, 2004
My Mossberg 500 has a little play in it but it has zero affect on performance. Actually I like it the best of all my shotguns.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
If you can spend around 200, just pick up a Remington 870 Express new. It'll last the better part of a lifetime if cared for