Question about Overclocking the FSB.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I am about to purchase and overclock a new system. I understand the theory of overclocking, but have never tried it.

The original specs were intended to be
ASUS P4C800-E, with Intel P4 EEHT 3.2 or P4 Prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB DDR 400.

However, I am thinking of Overclocking the FSB to 1000 (Quad pumped 250Mhz) I could easily purchase 2GB of DDR 500, and set the CPU to 3.25Ghz for syncronous behavior (clock modifier 13x), which should theoretically create a stable platform.

1st of all, has anyone actually successfully done this yet on the ASUS board?

Would I need anything special in the cooling department for adding just an extra 50mhz to the CPU or the FSB?
Would I have to modify the voltage for these jumps in any way?

BLHealthy4life

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2003
Hi there. I'm going to try and shed some light on your idea and try to answer your questions.

First of all, if you are going to start out with a 3.2Ghz CPU, the multiplier is 16x, not 13. That is 3200/200 = 16x. This multiplier cannot be changed unfortunetly.

Also, you aren't just adding 50Mhz to the CPU, but to the FSB. You are adding 800Mhz to the CPU.

You want to raise the FSB to 250Mhz 1:1 with DDR500 with a 3.2Ghz (don't we all!)? At a 250Mhz FSB, your CPU will be 250x16 = 4Ghz.

I VERY seriously doubt you will get that type of speed out of a 3.2 P4 CPU as that is a MAJOR overclock. It is well known that the 3.2Ghz do not overclock nearly as
well as the CPUs below 2.8Ghz.

My personal opinion and most obvious observation as to why this is, is as follows:

1. The mulitplier is already so high
2. Multi can't be changed/lowered

Result:
With the high multiplier, any increase in FSB creates a substantial CPU speed increase over a small FSB increase compared to a lower multi.

For example:
1. 2.4Ghz has a multiplier of 12. At 250FSB, the CPU speed would be 3Ghz; an increase in 50FSB creates a 600Mhz CPU speed increase.
2. 3.2Ghz has a multiplier of 16. At 250 FSB, the CPU speed would be 4Ghz; an increase in 50FSB creates a 800Mhz CPU speed increase.

Conclusion:
It is shown that at the same FSB between the two CPUs, one is overclocked 200Mhz or 33% more than the other. That is a HUGE difference
when overclocking a CPU in my opinion.

Cooling:
I can say with confidence that it almost certainly impossible to obtain an 800Mhz o/c with air cooling on a 3.2 P4; but you never know.

I can also say with confidence that it is VERY unlikely that you will achieve 250FSB with a 3.2Ghz CPU even with stacked Pelts and water cooling. You MIGHT
get that with vapor cooling. But then again, cooling can only take your chip so far if the chip itself cannot handle that type of speed increase even if it is well
below 0 degrees F. If you were looking at anything below 3.0Ghz, I could believe an 800MHz o/c is possible/been done with vapor cooling but nothing else.

Voltage:
The best thing to do is to find a CPU that has the lowest default voltage as possible. Not all P4 CPUs run the same default voltages. The ones with the lower
voltages will generally overclock better. This is for the simple fact that it takes less power for the CPU to run the same speed as other CPUs with the same
speed rating.

I would have to say that an increase in voltage is almost a certainty if you plan on trying to o/c that far. For more power output, you generally need more power
input. But that isn't always the case as many have/ and will achieve good overclocks with default voltages. Of course with more voltage input, there is more
heat output; we all know heat is a factor in overclocking. It's all a delicate cycle.

That is my 2cents worth. Overclocking is a gamble. Not all of the same components overclock the same. Some of us get good chips (both CPU/mem) and others do not get as good as chips (not saying they are bad, just not as good).

I hope it has helped some.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Thanks.

I guess I should have done more reading. I didnt expect that the CPU multiplier was unchangable.
i was assuming you could undermultiply it and increase the FSB. thereby keeping approx the same CPU speed.
That sux that you cant do that.