Question about overclocking my CPU

rawrcakezz

Jul 20, 2009
How would I go about "overclocking" my AMD Phenom Quad-Core X4 9750 (2.4GHz, 1066MHz, 4MB), because I have been told it is "slow" and would be easy to overclock. Also using a ATI Radeon HD4670 512MB video card if that makes a difference.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Currently we don't have a sticky to cover that, so your question is understandable. Anyway, it would really help if you told us what other parts you have in your computer and what power supply you have, as well as your motherboard, before any of us try to help you overclock your CPU. Also, what cooling do you have for your CPU?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: rawrcakezz
How would I go about "overclocking" my AMD Phenom Quad-Core X4 9750 (2.4GHz, 1066MHz, 4MB), because I have been told it is "slow" and would be easy to overclock.
1. Your processor is not slow. That's actually a very good processor.
2. Your processor is not easy to overclock. The old Phenoms had horrible overclocking. I was only able to get an extra 10% out of my Phenom 9600 and it took quite a bit of voltage to do it.

You can try doing it anyway. All you need to do is increase the "HT reference" in the bios. My computer won't even boot if I change that from 200 to 205, so I don't think you'll get much out of this. According to the AMD forum, you can get around the boot problem by lowering the "HT multiplier".

AMD thread about this
software to test if your overclock is stable

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Phenoms are also very hot processors, so he needs to give us a breakdown of his cooling setup before we can tell him whether or not he should be trying to overclock his Phenom at all. Furthermore, if he doesn't know his way around a BIOS, advising him to tweak things there might be a bad idea, at least until after we've had a chance to explain some of the features there.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
Phenoms are also very hot processors, so he needs to give us a breakdown of his cooling setup before we can tell him whether or not he should be trying to overclock his Phenom at all. Furthermore, if he doesn't know his way around a BIOS, advising him to tweak things there might be a bad idea, at least until after we've had a chance to explain some of the features there.

Don't worry about it. You can reset the bios by pulling the battery. That's how I reset my bios since I don't really know where the jumper is and I don't feel like finding the instruction manual.

I wouldn't worry about temperature either. The phenom quad cores actually run cooler than intel dual cores because the stock heat sink is much bigger and the overall design of it is better. The heatsink that came with my E6600 is very small, the fan doesn't have any plastic around it so it mostly blows air to the sides instead of down, and the fins are thick. The damn thing runs at 60C all the time. The heatsink that came with my Phenom is fairly heavy, it has lots of thin fins, it has a few copper heat pipes, and it has plastic around the fan. Even though the Phenom is probably using twice as much electricity, it runs at about 45C right now while doing folding on all 4 cores.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well that's interesting to know. Not sure how far he'd be able to OC it without getting high temps, however, especially if overvolting was involved.

As far as pulling the battery, I personally consider that to be a big PITA, but that's just me. The jumper bit is also annoying but what're ya gonna do.

Unfortunately the OP is MIA so helping him at this point may be impossible.