Question about nas4free

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Just setup a nas4free and I'm having a problem with the basic, fundamental function of any NAS device. That is, actually showing up on the network. I can log into the the web interface just fine and make all the changes I want but for the life of me I cannot get it to show up in Windows network neighborhood, and of course the shares are a no show also. Seems kinda stupid to me that this most basic requirements of any NAS would problematic.

Again, this isn't a connectivity issue, I can log into the NAS just fine, I just can't get it to show in Windows.

Thanks

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
You did define your users and such right? If you want to have any sort of security in your network then you need to add yourself to the appropriate group and then enable SMB/CIFS sharing and allow the appropriate group access. Your windows login/pw are your credentials that you should put into the NAS user definition. Or you can not mess with it and let any old guest stroll in, I guess.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
I'm running Winows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I switched to FreeNAS and ran into a different problem. I get access is denyed no matter what I do. problem is, Linux is pretty much gibberish to me, I'm trying to understand it in the context of windows. In FreeNAS I made the user name and password exactly the same as my Windows 7 box and still get access denied. i'm at a loss to understand whty. Maybe I should just stay in the Windows world and leave Linux alone.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I can log into the the web interface just fine and make all the changes I want but for the life of me I cannot get it to show up in Windows network neighborhood,

and of course the shares are a no show also.

for the first, both your computer and the NAS have the same workgroup setup? failure to do that will mean no visiable appearance of the NAS.

though nothing stops you from typing in the IP address into explorer to see what the device is sharing.

ie: typeing \\192.168.1.30 into the file location of explorer if that is the IP address of the NAS.

as to the second, shares will not show unless you have found the PC and maped them to your PC.

Of course, if the NAS needs you to run special software to see the NAS, then that software needs to be running to do anything with the NAS.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
may wanna ask these q's in the nas4free forums btw, the anandtech storage subforum isn't that big and does not specialize in nas4free

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm running Winows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I switched to FreeNAS and ran into a different problem. I get access is denyed no matter what I do. problem is, Linux is pretty much gibberish to me, I'm trying to understand it in the context of windows. In FreeNAS I made the user name and password exactly the same as my Windows 7 box and still get access denied. i'm at a loss to understand whty. Maybe I should just stay in the Windows world and leave Linux alone.

You must specify the workstation/server name as part of your username.

For a NAS named "Server", with a user of "Username", then that would be "Server\Username".

Try that.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Well, this idiot is making progress. I discovered that by default, root is the owner of a share. I changed the owner to me and was able to read and write to the share. I still don't understand why it doesn't just work from the start, why make users jump through all these hoops to get it up and running?

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
well, this idiot is making progress. I discovered that by default, root is the owner of a share. I changed the owner to me and was able to read and write to the share. I still don't understand why it doesn't just work from the start, why make users jump through all these hoops to get it up and running?

security