question about Monster.com

DaVortex

Mar 9, 2004
Im currently looking for a new job and I see tons of job offerings by Agencies, if you get a job thru them with a company do they get some kind of percentage out of it, just curious..

also has anyone found a descent job thru a job agency?

thanks in advance

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Depends. If it's a specialized field like a IT consulting agency or an accounting agency then they could probably find you something halfway decent. Otherwise most of them are kind of temp/crap jobs.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
usually what happens is you get a few dollars less an hour when you work through an agency. They get the rest. From what I experience it's not a percentage. For example: One time, I had a job that I got through a temp agency paying $13/hr. The fulltimers that worked there not through the agency were getting $16/hr. So the agency was making money off me. It's not something you see on your paycheck though.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
We have a temp working for us right now. This person is getting $12 per hour, we pay the temp agency $22.00 per hour.

And this person has to now work here a minimum of 3 months before we can offer a full time position. :(

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
I work at the Corporate HQ of the world's largest staffing company.

Okay, if you get a job through an agency YOU don't have to pay any fee.
The company that hires you could be using the agency to "find" the person that they need to fulfill their position of need. So that company pays the agency a direct hire fee. These are perm placements.

You could also find a job through an agency that is temp to perm. Or a temporary assignment. Unlike what someone else said here these are not always "crap" jobs although they can be. A company needs a person just to fulfill a short term need and maybe you fit the bill. Or you could be assigned to work as a temporary employee for a certain term (3 months, 6 months, whatever, depends on the company) at Company B meanwhile you are actually an employee of the staffing agency. The staffing company bills Company B and the markup is usually around 33% (if the staffing agency is doing their job correctly) but can be considerably less if it's a large national contract.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: DaVortex
Im currently looking for a new job and I see tons of job offerings by Agencies, if you get a job thru them with a company do they get some kind of percentage out of it, just curious..

also has anyone found a descent job thru a job agency?

thanks in advance

There is no stigma of finding a job through an agency. Actually, I found my current position through a staffing company, was a direct hire.

Some companies do not have the recruiters, the time, or the inclination to do their own searches for qualified applicants. So they will pay an agency to do all of the research for them. And that's where you come in if you need a job and you have the right skills.

The staffing agency in question will also determine what jobs they have. It could be a local recruiter for labor blue collar jobs or it could be an executive search only office that specializes in executive management jobs paying over $100k.