Question about model paints

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
I'm about to start painting my first model. It's an aircraft carrier.

I don't have any prior experience for doing this,but figured I would try.

I bought some Testers enamel paints for the aircraft, which are plastic, and tried to paint them. The paint acted like a watercolor and just smeared everywhere and didn't stick to the surface.

Questions is, wtf do I do?

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Did you shake the paint up really well first? Did you let it dry properly? I've painted with Testor's enamels on plastic before and never had that problem.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
I shook it up pretty well. What is the proper procedure for drying?

When I was applying the paint it just smeared everywhere and it looked like I didn't even paint it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
is it a plastic model? does it say revel or monogram or tamiya on it? the paint should work. shake it really hard, sounds like the solids all sank.

AntisociaL

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2001
Try washing it with dish soap and hot water before painting and letting it dry completely. The oil from your fingers will ruin a paint job easily.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
You may want to get some acrylics from someplace like Gamer's Workshop. If you can stand the nerds, they have excellent paints and supplies that you DON'T have to use for those ridiculous figurines. ;)

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
spray model primer if necessary... if u have stuff with fine details tho that mite not be a good idea...

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
I am fine detailing everything.

I got the paint to stick! I had to shake it some more. :p

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I use primer on everything. and I use model master paint for most things I paint. Another good thing to do is use model filler for the gaps and sandpaper to smooth down the bumps.