Question about Max Payne 3

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Purchased it the other day. Played through the 30 or so minutes, through the stadium chase. Seems to be cut scenes every 15 seconds. Does this continue through the whole game?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I like the style and the running dialogue but the constant break in action is immersion breaking for me. Overall not bad so far though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It's pretty story driven, but I want to say that later on the time between cutscenes is longer. It's been a while since I've played the beginning though.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I usually hate over-done custscenes in video games... unless the storyline is actually good.

Fortunately, MP3 has a great storyline, so the cutscenes are totally welcome by me.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
it was not until I replayed the game I realised how long and frequent the cut scenes are. On the first play-through I was so engrossed in the story I did not mind at all.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I don't have the creative writing style that this guy does, but damn...I agree with all of the points he made.

I'm a huge Max Payne fan, I still own the original mousepad! I didn't realize the the MP3 had a different writer, but it certainly makes sense.

Never brought myself to finishing it, was just too sad to see Max so retarded.

http://www.videogamessuck.com/review476.html

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I've been playing through the game recently too and I agree with those points made by that review. It is exactly like Man on Fire and nothing like MP1 and MP2. I hate the characters and the locale does not really fit into the first 2 games.

Game does not draw you into the story through the story telling like the first two but I'll try to finish it anyhow. Most annoying thing to me is those god damn flashing words repeating everything he said. It's not cool if you do it all the god damn time especially when it's largely cursing.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't have the creative writing style that this guy does, but damn...I agree with all of the points he made.

I'm a huge Max Payne fan, I still own the original mousepad! I didn't realize the the MP3 had a different writer, but it certainly makes sense.

Never brought myself to finishing it, was just too sad to see Max so retarded.

http://www.videogamessuck.com/review476.html

I'm gonna go ahead and say the author of that article is retarded. He makes the same old, tired, false argument: "Max Payne 3 isn't film-noir like the first two, because it's in Brazil in the middle of the day hurr durr". No, it's definitely still noir. Any high school kid who's taken a film history class can look at MP3 and be able to tell it's noir style. (Judging by the way that article is written, he sounds like he's 15 years old anyway.)

Hell, anyone with an internet connection and access to Wikipedia can figure out that Max Payne 3 is noir. For some reason people think that noir is directly correlated with snowy nighttime NYC, and nothing else. These are probably the same people who have only played video games and haven't actually bothered watching any noir films.

Other than that... I guess he has a couple of valid arguments? But then he complains that the game is too similar to "Man on Fire", as if that's a bad thing. lol. (For those who haven't seen it, Man on Fire is one of the best action/drama films ever made. :D )

Then he says "Lake must be pissed at how fucking bad the writing in this game is." I'm pretty sure he's not. In fact, he openly praised the game, very excitedly when it came out. I believe he said it was "fucking brilliant."

Last edited:

Madia

May 2, 2006
Purchased it the other day. Played through the 30 or so minutes, through the stadium chase. Seems to be cut scenes every 15 seconds. Does this continue through the whole game?

There's a ton of cut scenes in the beginning (up to and including the stadium level) but afterwards they do slow down a bit. I remember being irritated by the small percentage of gameplay to cut scenes in the beginning but afterwards it improves to a reasonable rate. So don't give up on it yet, it gets better.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I'm gonna go ahead and say the author of that article is retarded. He makes the same old, tired, false argument: "Max Payne 3 isn't film-noir like the first two, because it's in Brazil in the middle of the day hurr durr". No, it's definitely still noir. Any high school kid who's taken a film history class can look at MP3 and be able to tell it's noir style. (Judging by the way that article is written, he sounds like he's 15 years old anyway.)

Hell, anyone with an internet connection and access to Wikipedia can figure out that Max Payne 3 is noir. For some reason people think that noir is directly correlated with snowy nighttime NYC, and nothing else. These are probably the same people who have only played video games and haven't actually bothered watching any noir films.

Other than that... I guess he has a couple of valid arguments? But then he complains that the game is too similar to "Man on Fire", as if that's a bad thing. lol. (For those who haven't seen it, Man on Fire is one of the best action/drama films ever made. :D )

Then he says "Lake must be pissed at how fucking bad the writing in this game is." I'm pretty sure he's not. In fact, he openly praised the game, very excitedly when it came out. I believe he said it was "fucking brilliant."

The writing is definitely piss poor, and I never related to and/or liked any of the characters.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

Man on fire was a great movie but Max Payne 3 should not be Man on fire. It should be something that you can relate to 1 and 2 and have enjoyable characters like 1 & 2. I mean so far I have not seen Mona at all but I'm about 1/3 of the way in but I still can't imagine her showing up in this one.

Doesn't help that I wished the people I were trying to save would die.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Uh, no. I definitely played L.A. Noire and there was no snow! And it was in L.A.! Don't try to tell me what I don't know!

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Man on fire was a great movie but Max Payne 3 should not be Man on fire. It should be something that you can relate to 1 and 2 and have enjoyable characters like 1 & 2. I mean so far I have not seen Mona at all but I'm about 1/3 of the way in but I still can't imagine her showing up in this one.

Doesn't help that I wished the people I were trying to save would die.

Agreed, none of the characters were likeable. I played up until you were on a boat right after the stadium, couldn't stomach it anymore and uninstalled.

The writing style was just too different for me, Max was not the same Max, and Brazil (ugh, South America/Latin) is just not as interesting as the Mob in the big American City for me.

And before anyone counters your Mona arguement, she lives if you played and finished the game on the hardest difficulty level. I loved Mona :wub:

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I didn't really like it either. Some of the environments were cool but the gameplay was generic, stale and overly frustrating at times. It wasn't fun to play and I had to force myself to finish it. I never understood all the praise it got when it was released.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I never could get my steam copy to play. Always says cannot access activation servers. So Rockstar can shove this game up their rear.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I never could get my steam copy to play. Always says cannot access activation servers. So Rockstar can shove this game up their rear.

Odd. Have you checked your firewall? Verified integrity of game cache? Maybe your ISP isn't letting you connect?

I beat Max Payne 3 multiple times over the course of a few weeks, and never had a single problem connecting. The issue probably isn't on Rockstar's end. (If it is, then contact Rockstar support. They should be able to help you.)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yes way too many cut scenes for the 2 hours I have played. also the graphics glitched on me big time when I resumed from a save in the stadium. that really pissed me off as it was quite distracting. I dont why that was never fixed because others reported it a long time ago. and really the game is not all that fun or interesting to play so I am glad I did not spend more than 10 bucks.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Agreed, none of the characters were likeable. I played up until you were on a boat right after the stadium, couldn't stomach it anymore and uninstalled.

The writing style was just too different for me, Max was not the same Max, and Brazil (ugh, South America/Latin) is just not as interesting as the Mob in the big American City for me.

And before anyone counters your Mona arguement, she lives if you played and finished the game on the hardest difficulty level. I loved Mona :wub:

Yes, Max should be the same max no matter what, cuz everyone knows people don't change over time, especially when their family has been murdered and their career has been taken from them...

write your own Max Payne game.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Odd. Have you checked your firewall? Verified integrity of game cache? Maybe your ISP isn't letting you connect?

I beat Max Payne 3 multiple times over the course of a few weeks, and never had a single problem connecting. The issue probably isn't on Rockstar's end. (If it is, then contact Rockstar support. They should be able to help you.)

yep, I tried quite a few other things too. If I hit verify repeatedly, it would then say something about the activation license in use or something similar. Steam support never really helped me outside of generic responses so I gave up a long time ago. Probably some DRM error bs, I had a similar problem with a splinter cell retail CD that kept telling me to use a legit cd and not a backup, yet it was a legit one from BB. lol, drm sucks

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Yes, Max should be the same max no matter what, cuz everyone knows people don't change over time, especially when their family has been murdered and their career has been taken from them...

write your own Max Payne game.

Nope, refuse to.

How about Sam Lake would write another one? I mean he only wrote the first and second so he couldn't possibly be the one best for the job.

In all seriousness Max isn't Max anymore, he was changed in the new game to appeal to the mouthbreathers. I do miss the comic cutscenes though, it's amazing how much a still picture + well orchestrated sound effects can much more for a scene than a FMV.

Shame...it had a good run and the first two will always be remembered fondly. Not for the crappy movie or MP3...it should have ended at MP2 as this was the game that tied up all the loose ends from the first story.

Last edited: