Question about local storage & my htpc use

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm going to put together an htpc here in the next week or two, but it's mainly going to be used as a movie viewer and no pvr'ing of any type. So far, as far as storage goes, I only planned on throing in an 830 128gb ssd for the OS and that's it, figuring I'd be able to watch movies stored on my server through the htpc. Is there any disadvantages to doing this as opposed to storing my movie files locally? I have a spare 1tb hdd currently not being used in my server I can throw in the htpc build, but I'm thinking if I can access the movie files on the htpc through my server, why save locally?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
As long as your network can sustain the speeds necessary for streaming, go for it!

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I have four htpcs, with all content stored on a server. Have not had an issue. You should be fine.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
+1. I have a single 120GB in my HTPC. It works great. I do as you intend without issue.

Just make sure you have a wired gigabit connections and your can do exactly as you want.

If your planning wireless your not going to do well with bluray MKV's.... due to bandwidth.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
cool thanks guys. everything's wired so I should be OK. I'm stoked just need to find time to put it together.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Pictures , pics , pics !!!

This forum could use some build pics and you defiantly qualify ;)

I'm hoping I'll have some time to get it started Friday. everything's in their boxes right now. I'll post pics of everything. be warned though, I have nothing fancy lol