Question about how to hook up Xbox 360.

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
First off sorry for my lack of knowledge of cables

Ok I am about to go pickup my premium xbox 360 in a few minutes. I am going to be connecting it to my LCD monitor via the VGA cable. I am wondering how I should hook up the audio though.

Here is how I currently have everything wired.

I have a splitter on my audio out on my PC. On that splitter I have my PC speakers going in one and then I have another splitter type thing that changes the 1 cable into an RCA cable and that is going into the AUX on my stereo. I am wanting to be able to run my 360 through the Aux on my stereo but I only have one. How could I do that while still running my PC through it? I dont want to have to switch cables all the time.

Could I get one of the RCA splitter cables that I have going from my PC to stereo and run that from the 360 to the Mic in on my PC?

What would be the easiest way to get my 360 and PC to be able to work through the stereo without having to switch cables constantly.

Thanks in advanced

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
The Microsoft branded VGA cable comes with an RCA audio to mini stereo adapter that you can connect to the line-in of your PC sound card. Easy as that! :)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Does your receiver have optical in? If so, then you can use the optical out from the vga cable. Thats what I do.

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
Optical would be best. Do you also have additional analog outputs? Just hook it into a tape input or something. If you've got the stereo very close to your PC/XBOX, you can use it to handle switching duties.

I've got my 360 running into the line in of my x-Fi. Works great - problem is that I need to have the 'puter on to play XBOX games.

PM

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
Ok well I just picked everything up. Bought the VGA cable used because it was $20 cheaper. But it didnt come with the adapter. So I think I am going to go buy one tomorrow and just plug it into the Line in on my PC. Thanks everyone