question about hiberfil.sys and disabling hibernation

essential

Aug 28, 2004
So i'm limited in space on my main SSD and I see my hiberfil.sys is 12GB.

I never use hibernation, my machine runs 24/7 so I'm sure I can disable hibernation to save this space, but I've been searching and I'm not sure if hiberfil.sys does anything else? It is 100% just for hibernation, or does it help in the case of power loss/system crashes? If it's 100% hibernation I'm just going to disable hibernation to get rid of it, but I want to first make sure there isn't anything else that could even be remotely effected by the loss of the file.

Thanks.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
hybrid sleep uses the hibernation file: On the default settings, Win7 and later saves the contents of RAM to disk before putting the computer into S3 sleep mode. It's a failsafe feature so that if the power goes out, the computer can be resumed from the hibernation file.

If the computer is truly running 24/7 (ie. no sleep mode), then I wouldn't worry about disabling hybrid sleep and hibernation. That should delete the hibernation file (or you can do the honours if it doesn't).

Reactions: essential

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
12Gb won't last you long...

Use DriverStore.Explorer to delete the 500 versions of nvidia drivers you have on your system,just make sure to leave the newest one.
Also spacesniffer (run with admin) will tell you were all the space has gone.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
On some setups it seems you have to disable "Powershell" in start menu options (settings) to see the command prompt in the right-click menu instead. The hibernation file might be in Storage options too.

Or without changing settings, left-click on the Start button, type in 'cmd' or 'command prompt', then right-click and run as admin.