Question about getting into Magicka

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
I've recently started to game a bit with my 9 year old daughter. She's really into playing Portal 2 and Trine 2 with me (both very different but very fun to play together). I've read that Magicka can also be a fun multiplayer game. Two questions:

1. Any reason to think this is not an age-appropriate game given that she's OK with Portal 2 and Trine 2?

2. The purchase options for Magicka seem to be a bit complex. There's the base game and tons of DLC (with differing DLC collections between Amazon, Steam, etc.). Are there any general thoughts about what's the most cost effective way to get into this game for two players?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The only worry that I would have is that as a game, Magicka is rather difficult and somewhat unforgiving. You chain multiple magicks (up to 5) together to form one spell using the keyboard keys: Q, W, E, R, T, A, S, D, and F. You can then cast those in different ways depending on which mouse button you press. In short, it may be a little too complicated for a nine-year-old.

Other than that, I don't recall anything risque about the game. All the voices are in this weird, fake language that sounds a lot like the Sweedish Chef on the Muppets.

As for the DLC, there are mostly 3 types:

1. Robes: These change the way your character looks, and they also change the way you fight. Certain robes have different effects such as adjusting your speed, and you also get different weapons (melee and staff) that affect you as well.
  2. Battlegrounds: These are PVP maps.
  3. Stories: These are expansions to the base game that provide more experiences. Examples of this are The Other Side of the Coin and Dungeons and Daemons.
As for the best way to buy it, I don't think Steam is a good option right now as they lack a cheap option that includes a bunch of DLC. The best way would have been the Humble Bundle a few weeks ago that had Magicka in it, but as of right now, Amazon is probably your best bet:

http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Stud...dp/B0069TK0VU/

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
The only worry that I would have is that as a game, Magicka is rather difficult and somewhat unforgiving. You chain multiple magicks (up to 5) together to form one spell using the keyboard keys: Q, W, E, R, T, A, S, D, and F. You can then cast those in different ways depending on which mouse button you press. In short, it may be a little too complicated for a nine-year-old.

Thanks! I had seen that Amazon offer and was about to jump on it. As for difficulty, I'm not too concerned (it's only $5 after all). I was more concerned about blood/gore/etc. Our girls have seen a of of stuff but there are some games that really push the limit. Re: difficulty - It's pretty amazing what the kiddos will step up to when it comes to video game complexity. I'm astonished that she can navigate the more advanced Portal 2 levels solo.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I was looking at Magicka for my 8 year old son a few weeks ago. I decided it was just a tad too violent. I played the first level and when you kill the imps they explode - blood/gore go flying in all directions. Yes, it's cartoonish, but it's just a bit too much for him.

He LOVES Trine and Trine2 and even though there is violence in that game, I didn't think it was that graphic.

Bottom line: you might want to youtube some videos of Magicka gameplay first....just to make sure.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
A 7yo in my household could play the game just fine. However, he was only really interested in PvP aspects. The story line mode is somewhat challenging, mainly because when you play multiplayer there is friendly fire. So if the other person is blowing stuff up (which they like to do at that age) they are likely to blow you up as well.

I'd say it's more geared towards adults, not because of any content related stuff, but mainly because when the going gets tough in the game, the youngins are likely to go guns blazing and kill you over and over, and it will be an exercise in frustration (depending on your patience level.)

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
. In short, it may be a little too complicated for a nine-year-old.

Its too complicated for me and I'm 40+ year old! The 9 year old will likely learn it quicker and probably destroy the op.

I started playing pokeman card game with son when he was 7. It hought that was fun. Then it was yugio and a few others. Yugio was OK. By the time he started playing magic at 9-10 he'd lost me completely.

I will give a thumbs up to elements though. It's a good free online card game that is in a kid friendly enviroment. Just let the kid work against the bots rather than arena. My now 20 year old son and I occasionally battle there.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Other than that, I don't recall anything risque about the game. All the voices are in this weird, fake language that sounds a lot like the Sweedish Chef on the Muppets.

As for the DLC, there are mostly 3 types:

1. Robes: These change the way your character looks, and they also change the way you fight. Certain robes have different effects such as adjusting your speed, and you also get different weapons (melee and staff) that affect you as well.
  2. Battlegrounds: These are PVP maps.
  3. Stories: These are expansions to the base game that provide more experiences. Examples of this are The Other Side of the Coin and Dungeons and Daemons.
As for the best way to buy it, I don't think Steam is a good option right now as they lack a cheap option that includes a bunch of DLC. The best way would have been the Humble Bundle a few weeks ago that had Magicka in it, but as of right now, Amazon is probably your best bet:

Can you stick to 3 button combos and get through the game?

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Its too complicated for me and I'm 40+ year old! The 9 year old will likely learn it quicker and probably destroy the op.

LOL! Yes, this is also a concern (I'm 44). I'll take the chance on the game. I don't think the graphics are too much based on what I saw on youtube. She's watched me play a ton of Skyrim and wasn't bothered by it. In fact, it became a chore for me since she viewed the situation as essentially an observer-driven Lord of the Rings feature film ("go kill the dragon Papa!", "Don't let the trolls kill you!"). And if it's too complex, not much money will have been wasted.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It's too complicated for me (around 30, lifelong PC gamer.) The button chaining combos are just too much.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Can you stick to 3 button combos and get through the game?

Umm... probably. Some of the most important abilities to remember are the spell combos, which is where you enter magicks in a certain order and hit spacebar to initiate a certain spell. You have to actually find tomes in the levels to unlock these as well. The most important one for me has always been the speed spell. I think it's only three magicks, so it's not hard to enter. Dispel is incredibly important against Fenrir. However, it's not terribly important to memorize that one, because you use it to dispel a reverse spell that Fenrir puts on you. In other words, your magick keys are all reversed. :p If you're playing in co-op, you also want to know the revive spell.

Outside of the predefined spells, the ones that I found the most important were things like life mines (running over them heals for a ton compared to a standard heal self spell), earth shield (some enemies before Fenrir throw huge boulders at you, and they will one shot you), and some various other things. The game really responds to you being creative about how you tackle problems, and it doesn't usually give you situations that you can't find a way out of... except for Grimnir's Dream; that gauntlet sucked.

I was looking at Magicka for my 8 year old son a few weeks ago. I decided it was just a tad too violent. I played the first level and when you kill the imps they explode - blood/gore go flying in all directions. Yes, it's cartoonish, but it's just a bit too much for him.

Yeah, when I saw his note about the blood and gore, I was going to mention that. If you use the laser spell in conjunction with anything, it usually makes things explode. However, there is an option in the settings to turn off blood and gore.