Question about cop's jurisdiction

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Every morning, I've gotta take I-75 south into a suburb of Tampa. I get one about 40 miles north of Tampa, so I've got a roughly 25 mile, traffic free stretch of I-75 to screw around in every morning.
Yesterday, about 5 miles after I got onto the highway, I ran into a 5-6 car cluster of noobs driving at the same speed in both lanes. At the head of the pack, I could clearly see a sheriff's patrol car, but it didn't look like any county's sheriff car that I was familiar with (Hernando, Pasco, or Hillsborough counties).
I was basically stuck behind all of this all the way to Tampa, but right before I exited onto I-4, I got a good look at the cop car. Washington County. I doubt it was Washington County in Florida either, because he didn't have the yellow COUNTY license plate I'm used to seeing on FL cop cars, but even if it was the Washington County in Florida, that's at least another 100 miles north.
My question is, could this cop have even pulled anyone over so far out of his jurisdiction?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
he probably wouldn't

he may have been driving to go pick up a criminal and take them back to his county

or going to some training or something

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
he probably wouldn't

he may have been driving to go pick up a criminal and take them back to his county

or going to some training or something

So, if any of the aforementioned noobs had been speeding, he wouldn't have pulled them over? If he had, however, does he have the power to give them a speeding ticket in a county that isn't his?

Jun 19, 2004
See my thread. Apparently in SC they can. I always thought they couldn't. although if I had to guess these guys looked like part of some "task force" or "speeding team", so maybe they have special permission. If that's the case, then maybe a county cop from another county cannot pull you if he's just passing through.

Just guessing here, I'm not a lawyer, though I do play one on ATOT!

nissan720

Dec 3, 2004
Well, he probably does not... But, he could call someone who does have the power and I am sure they would write one for him.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: nissan720
Well, he probably does not... But, he could call someone who does have the power and I am sure they would write one for him.

^^^

or he could pull them over and give them a verbal warning

but i suspect he was going somewhere and wouldn't waste his time, unless it was something "serious", then he would radio someone

or if there was a wreck or something like that

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
The police have guns & dogs, and friends with dogs & guns. They can do as they please.

wiser words have never been spoken here. I give this man my full attention!

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
i know sheriffs are state mandated offices in VA and they have jurisdication throughout.
not being in law enforcement it may be that they have it all over. they extradite criminals all over the world and i am sure there law enforcement powers go were they travel......:confused:

know does that me they are out patrolling other areas? no.

but what could happen is that if the officer (out of jurisdication) sees someone that could be considered reckless/danger to society. he could pull you over and radio a jurisdicated police officer to come right you up or take you to the slammer........i don't think minor speeding infractions would be one of those though

-fish

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
So, cop from some distant county probably wouldn't pull me over for doing 10+ speed limit on the Interstate?

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
So, cop from some distant county probably wouldn't pull me over for doing 10+ speed limit on the Interstate?

i doubt it but you could run across the one supercop that would.

i wouldn't risk it for an extra 10+ speed though...

-fish

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

It would have to be obviously reckless. And then it would have to be worth his time to come back to a court at a later time to testify. This is in addition to most likely following protocol and having a local cruiser dispatched to document the stop. What he would probably do is radio in for a local to come scope you out. Could have been one right around the corner

Feb 24, 2001
Like others have said, depends on the locale.

I'm on the TX/AR border and all law enforcement has reciprocity several counties into each state.

There was a hilarious video a while back of some crooks running from police on the AR side. They cross the TX border and are flipping off the police with big smiles on their face. Then the patrolman just follows them into TX :p

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
The correct answer is: A cop outside of jurisdiction can arrest you/pull you over if they witness a crime, or if a crime stumbled across them. However, they can not go out of jurisdiction looking for trouble. They can't patrol, setup speedtraps, etc.

---

This reminds me of a case my friend and I ran into once. He got pulled over for no insurance, and they impounded his car. When we went to get the car out of the impound lot, you need a note from a cop saying its ok to get the car out. The cops are there to verify that the drivers are legal and can proceed. However, my friend brought me and I was legal, however, he wasnt. The cop OKed the paperwork to get the car out.

He had no insurance (or so I thought) and got some after getting impounded, but he lost his license as well (I didn't know that)... So the cop gives the OK at the station, and then hops in his cop car, and sits outside the impound lot (in another city, which he did not have jurisdiction) waiting for my friend to pull out again, then pulls him over for no license. So I pull over on the side street and walk up and say "I'll drive the car from here. No need to impound it again" The cop arrests me for "Allowing a non licensed person to drive a vehicle" or some crap to that effect.

We both go to court to fight it. The prosecutor and public defender (err pretender) laughs and giggles about how the cop was out of jurisdiction and we could be let go, and then tells us to plead guilty. ;)

Lesson learned: They will bust you anyways, even if out of jurisdiction, and public pretenders are worthless.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
He probably wouldn't since he wouldn't want to take the time to do so considering it's out of his jurisdiction but he could pull you over and hold you there until he can get someone from that county to the scene to take over.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Here in Kahleeforneeya he COULD have written tickets for it, but, it woulld mean having to deal with the local jurisdiction, and maybe having to come back if anyone took the tickets to court. They are allowed to enforce the laws even out of their jurisdiction within the state. It just means headaches for them when they do, so generally won't bother, UNLESS it's something much more serious than speeding. I'd suspect the most an out-of-jurisdiction cop would do it call it in to the local PD/Sheriff/Highway Patrol and let them handle it.