Question about car-rental and cheapo insurance company.

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
I got in an accident back in dec. 05(other person at fault, using their cheapo insurance company) had to wait months for my scheduled appointment to finally come. It is now July and the body shop appt is here. I've already called the insurance company(United auto) and am waiting for someone who knows the full details about this reimbursement policy for a car rental. Meanwhile im trying to schedule a car-rental with enterprise(kinda funny they charge you an extra $20 if you pick the car up at 8am compared to noon)

Anyways. The insurance rep. told me that I will be reimbursed for the ammount of days the estimate says it will take to repair. The estimate says 4 days. My question is this. If i rent the car tommorow(thrusday) my 4 days will expire on sunday. Yet there will only have been 2 days of actual repair days on the car(place is closed sat&sun) This place is so cheap I think they may screw me like that, and I'll end up paying an extra $75 in car rental. Am I just being super paranoid or is that something they'll most likely do?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The appointment sounds like getting confirmation from the body shop for the estimate.

You can schedule the time of work with the shop yourself.

Call back the insurance rep if you have questions. They can help you much more than ATOT could ever do so.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
I has to rent a car because of a little accident. What I gather is, when the shop calls you out to pick up your car, you return the rental car at that time and let the shop and the insurance company deal with the bill. BTW, estimate repair time is just that. An estimate...
If for some reason the shop calls you on friday to pick up but you didn't pick up your car until sat, then they will charge you that extra day.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Your body shop appt is for a Thursday? Weird, most places make all/most appts on Monday, I imagine to avoid situations like yours. You should have called your own insurance co., they would have fronted the cost minus your deductible and got it from the other persons insurance. I couldn't imagine waiting 7 months to get my car fixed after an accident.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
All I can say is never trust the insurance company except what they provide in writing, and then just know that you are lucky to be an accountant and lawyer.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
DONT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOUR CAR IS FIXED TO YOUR LIKING

sorry for the caps but it's words of wisdom