Question about CABLE INSULATION... Just hoping someone knows the answer...

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
This question is specifically about cable insulation, not limited to computer PSUs. Speaker cables should NOT be used as power cables for many reasons, most of which have to do with cable insulation. I am NOT trying to find an excuse to use speaker cable as a permanent install power cable. Speaker cable is flexible and I like to build test leads or jumpers from it. In addition to lower temperature rating for the insulation, I believe there is also a lower voltage rating for speaker cable insulation than on electrical cable. I am not succeeding in finding that rating for speaker cable. Does anyone know what is the safe voltage range to use speaker cable in? I play with allot of lab test equipment and my needs for jumpers range from a milli-ohm measurements with shielded kelvin probes to rapid charging lead acid batteries. Just trying to figure out where in that large range of jumper application the speaker wire can be used as a jumper or a test lead... How much voltage can I safely subject speaker wire to, assuming the gauge of the wire is thick enough to handle the amps without heating up the wire?

I am talking about the clear insulation on the cheap, stranded speaker cable that you get 100ft of 10AWG for $25 on amazon.

Thanks ahead

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I can't give you specifics, as I believe it varies per OEM.
I don't know if it matters in your use scenarios, but one thing you need to be aware of is that most of the speaker cable in that size range sold on Amazon is actually CCA (copper clad aluminum) rather than real copper.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ive got some at home ill see if it says on the insulation what its rating is.

But seriously, good wire is not expensive i would just buy good wire.

Or if you are determined to mickey mouse it why not just give it a wrap in electrical tape most electrical tape is rated for 300-600V.