question about buying diamond.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
so I'm planning to buy a diamond necklace for the wife this year, but I am kind of on a budget. For you husbands who have bought and researched on diamonds, what do you think is the best in terms of balancing size, price, and quality?

I have done all of my research, so I know about the 4Cs and what not.

Should I buy:

a necklace with a single diamond, but higher quality? S1 S2 grade, but the size is about 1/10th caret,

or

a necklace with multiple diamonds, size ranges from 1/3 to 1/2 caret, but the Grade is I1, I2, I3.

I want to get something that is good quality, but if the size is so small that you really cannot even appreciate it, wont be kind of a waste? But if I buy a bigger diamond with low grades, then it will look fake.

Any suggestions??

and for any girls here, what do you girls think?

JoeyM

Nov 18, 2003
Costco has nice diamonds at fair prices. I bought my wife a really nice diamond necklace there last year. The stock changes every few weeks so you have to keep your eye out for the right strand for your taste and budget.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
4c's really don't cut it except to get you into a ballpark of stones that made the 1st round of cuts.

I'd go for a classic pendant if anything, but expect to pay what you would for an engagement ring.

If the budget isn't there it's really better to go diamond sim. than a crappy real one.

diamondtalk.com is a great resource.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: mrrman
ask if they are "conflict free" and see what their answer is

i could care less about conflict free diamonds. now, i haven't purchased any diamonds before, and have no clue what to do for diamond shopping, but that's the last thing I'm personally gonna worry about.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: destrekor

i could care less about conflict free diamonds. now, i haven't purchased any diamonds before, and have no clue what to do for diamond shopping, but that's the last thing I'm personally gonna worry about.

Why don't you care? Would you also not care if your money went directly to supporting Al Qaeda?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

Why don't you care? Would you also not care if your money went directly to supporting Al Qaeda?

I buy gasoline just like everyone else:confused:

:p

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004

the reason why they say it takes 3 months of salary/wages to pay for a diamond is that is passes through everyones greedy hands...diamonds are overrated. I couldnt give a shit about diamonds as they are a waste of $$$ and only if the women saw it this way. All they care about is impressing their friends and showing it off...buy me 3 guitars instead...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
buy me 3 guitars instead...

This is the heart of pretty much every anti-diamond person on ATOT. An arguement of morals may sound good, but very few actually care, otherwise you wouldn't be consuming so many other goods paid for by the blood of others. Oil, shoes, clothes, diamonds, it's all the same, in the end.

EDIT:

OP At this size, clarity will mean very little. What kind of price point are you looking at? I suggest you stay away from local jewelers are rip offs, for the most part.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
FWIW, the lower the grade of stone, the less happy she will be with it. For a necklace/pendant, you want at LEAST a SI-2 grade, if not VSI. The lower quality stones will have visible inclusions that make the stones look cheap. Find a good quality jewelry store and talk to them. IMO, avoid the ones in the malls...very few of those are reliable/quality jewelers.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

This is the heart of pretty much every anti-diamond person on ATOT. An arguement of morals may sound good, but very few actually care, otherwise you wouldn't be consuming so many other goods paid for by the blood of others. Oil, shoes, clothes, diamonds, it's all the same, in the end.

EDIT:

OP At this size, clarity will mean very little. What kind of price point are you looking at? I suggest you stay away from local jewelers are rip offs, for the most part.

Diamonds are dirtier than most other goods, and as for the oil (which is probably second), I DO try to use as little of it as possible. But in America, you are reliant on oil, whereas diamonds are strictly optional.

I agree that morality is a means to an end for most anti-diamond people...but that just goes to show that humans can be right for all the wrong reasons, or wrong for all the right reasons.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
i personally would rather have a single diamond on a simple chain for now. i'm a tad too young for the "journey" diamond necklaces (the ones with the smaller diamonds on top snaking down to a larger on at the bottom.) looks more classy and simple.

and no one will ever look at it that close to see the flaws in it. my engagement ring is an S1 and you can't see the flaws with your naked eye.

what is your budget?
approximate age range of your wife? (to find something that's roughly age appropriate.)

1/10th carat solitaire for 99.00

heart with three diamonds i think this is tasteful.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

EDIT:

Diamonds are dirtier than most other goods, and as for the oil (which is probably second), I DO try to use as little of it as possible. But in America, you are reliant on oil, whereas diamonds are strictly optional.

I agree that morality is a means to an end for most anti-diamond people...but that just goes to show that humans can be right for all the wrong reasons, or wrong for all the right reasons.

A means to WHAT end? I don't see how there could be any possible end other than to get people to not buy diamonds which support a company that knowingly causes suffering and which themselves fund terrorism and genocide. Oh wait I'm just concerned about my stocks in the sapphire industry. :roll:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec

A means to WHAT end? I don't see how there could be any possible end other than to get people to not buy diamonds which support a company that knowingly causes suffering and which themselves fund terrorism and genocide. Oh wait I'm just concerned about my stocks in the sapphire industry. :roll:

Maybe I shouldn't have said "most", but when I said "a means to an end" I meant that some anti-diamond people (mind you, I'm anti-diamond myself) only trundle out the morality argument as an excuse to buy something cheaper for their girlfriends. As iamwiz81 pointed out, some of them don't have any problem with other morally ambiguous goods, such as child-labor shoes and shirts, or terrorist/war oil.

iamwiz81 claimed that "pretty much every" anti-diamond person was this way, and only pretended to care about morality.

I claimed that, while it certainily may hold true for some people, it is nonetheless a valid argument, and not all anti-diamond people are hypocritical about it.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: freesia39
i personally would rather have a single diamond on a simple chain for now. i'm a tad too young for the "journey" diamond necklaces (the ones with the smaller diamonds on top snaking down to a larger on at the bottom.) looks more classy and simple.

and no one will ever look at it that close to see the flaws in it. my engagement ring is an S1 and you can't see the flaws with your naked eye.

what is your budget?
approximate age range of your wife? (to find something that's roughly age appropriate.)

1/10th carat solitaire for 99.00

heart with three diamonds i think this is tasteful.

What I really want to get her is a single diamond on a chain. She is 25 years old.

My budget was set at below $300. but after researching, I think I might need to go higher to get a slightly better quality and not get something that is invisible. Maybe 500 at most??

the links that you provided me are nice, but I dont know how it looks when I see the real thing(considering the quality and size)

JoeyM

Nov 18, 2003
I'll say it again. Just go to Costco, find something you like, and buy it. The quality is there, the price is right, and you can return it if you change your mind. And Costco doesn't sell conflict diamonds. Trust me.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

I didn't know Al Qaeda got into the diamond industry. :confused:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton

It was a rhetorical question. :confused: Conditional, too. "Would you also not care if your money..."

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: JackBurton

It was a rhetorical question. :confused: Conditional, too. "Would you also not care if your money..."
Dude, I was kidding.