Question about Boinc:

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Hello all,

I have a question about the upcoming release of Boinc.

While this is commonly called SEti 2 according to this: Linky
it appears that Boinc will branch out from Seti and include such projects such as climateprediction.net, folding@home, and a slew of others. In essence it will allow those that are interested in all of those projects(as i am) the ability to contriubte their processing time amongst various ones...now my question is whether one can set a time for how much to work on each project or to choose which projects to specifically run.
Also, how will the stats in question work for this Boinc software seeing as how various projects will be incorporated within it
Lastly, i could just be completley wrong and the original Boinc release will be just SEti2...and there will be specialized versions of Boinc for each project?...so am i? ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I wasn't aware that Folding@Home was going to be incorporated into BOINC. From what I'd heard, BOINC got ideas for some features from the F@H guys (that could be - and probably is - wrong). ;)

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
i went to one of the main pages on Boinc and i am still unsure how they plan to integrate all the various clients into one. by what I understand everyone will still be registered to each individual project but does that mean that all the stats have to be reset in all participating dc projects b/c of the way that Boinc compiles stats?

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Overkiller
i went to one of the main pages on Boinc and i am still unsure how they plan to integrate all the various clients into one. by what I understand everyone will still be registered to each individual project but does that mean that all the stats have to be reset in all participating dc projects b/c of the way that Boinc compiles stats?

I dont think so. The guys that have done the project for a long time wouldnt like that so its highly unlikely. They are probably gonna code a base where its easy to add the what ever project they need.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
BOINC is purely a platform for running DC projects. It will allow you to set up multiple projects on one machine, and will provide a way to "share" your resources between the projects.

Each individual project will have it's own "client", which will be like a "plugin" for BOINC. This will then be run by BOINC, and do whatever it needs to do, as it would normally. However, as it's integrated with BOINC, BOINC will control how much it runs (if you're sharing with other projects), provide caching of work for all projects.

Because of the way that each individual project will do stats differently, you will probably still have to sign up for each team for each individual project. This may not necessarily mean that the stats for each project which is ported to run within BOINC will be reset. I imagine they would only be reset if the clients they write can't do the same stats. This just means that rather than having x number of different clients running (if you participate in different projects on the one machine) you just have one program (BOINC) which controls all the others. BOINC is purely a "standardised" program which can run other projects.

At least that's how I understand it, and I may be right, I may be wrong :) If you don't understand any of that, just point it out and what you don't understand, and I'll try to explain it (how i believe it is) a little more clearly.

Garry

aberant

Golden Member
Dec 6, 1999
I've read on multiple occasions that FaH will switch to Boinc as soon as they can integrate stably :)

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks confused,

This is the conclusion i came too but i could never be sure :Q

so what IS seti2..is it astropulse?

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
Thanks confused,

Astropulse is it's own thing, searching for black hole evaporation or something like that.
I think SETI2 will be searching through info from the southern hemisphere as well as Arecibo. (although I could be totally wrong about that :D)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: TAandy
Thanks confused,

Astropulse is it's own thing, searching for black hole evaporation or something like that.
I think SETI2 will be searching through info from the southern hemisphere as well as Arecibo. (although I could be totally wrong about that :D)

Yup, Astropulse is a different project. It was one that was "ready" (and I use that word loosely!) at the time of BOINC going into Beta mode.

Seti2 will be an extension of the search currently going on, by moving to the southern hemisphere too, as well as the data from the current reciever at Aricebo :)

Again, I may be wrong :)

Garry

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
While seti2 will be an extension of current research i hear that stats will be reset :Q ?

All those poor people that worked for years ;)

i take it the seti sites are going to get hammered once the final version of Boinc gets going!

aberant

Golden Member
Dec 6, 1999
yeah, i hope they've seriously considered that, it'd be horrible if the server fell over a minute after they posted the binary !

SirUlli

Jan 13, 2003
While seti2 will be an extension of current research i hear that stats will be reset :Q ?

All those poor people that worked for years ;)

i take it the seti sites are going to get hammered once the final version of Boinc gets going!

and the people at Berkely thinks(thanks to...) that intern Beta testing is enough

Linky

and yes, Boinc Astropulse, or Boinc Seti@home are working with a new Credidsystem, called Cobblestone

thats different from Seti@home Classic.

I think at the first time Seti@home Classic and BOINC Seti@home are going paralel at the fist time, and at one Point only Seti@home BOINC are working, just look at the new timelife at Berkeley.

and something else, only BOINC Seti@home will be able to handle the new Workunits from the 8 Bit Data Recorder

Linky

so I hope, when BOINC Seti@home will start next Month, all is working perfectly.

Greetings from Germany, NRW
Ulli

SirUlli

Jan 13, 2003
just a little update

their are no WUs since yesterday going at the Berkeley Servers, so the most people are getting nervous, what is going on here

so look here

Linky

but when i look at the download Page of AP, i saw a lot WUs at a Size from 354k

thanks to TheBigJens to pointet to that

WUs at a size from 354K are Seti WUs, so i think somethink is going on here, and the Beta Test of BOINC Seti@home is starting soon.

Sir Ulli

ASK THE COMMUNITY