Question about American Flag patches...

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I've noticed that the military wears the American flag on the their right arm, but when you look at patches for sale at stores, they have two versions, one for the right arm, and another for the left. Anyone know why? :confused: Thanks in advance.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Maybe different departments (police,fire, etc.) dont all put the patches on the right arm.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Maybe different departments (police,fire, etc.) dont all put the patches on the right arm.

I have no idea, that why I posted the question here.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
The left arm and right arm versions are made, so that the blue of the flag is always in front. This is to make it appear that the flag is always advancing and never retreating.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
The left arm and right arm versions are made, so that the blue of the flag is always in front. This is to make it appear that the flag is always advancing and never retreating.

Thanks, that clears up part of my confusion Gobadgrs. Now for a little more help, does it matter what arm a person wears the flag on?

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Is that right? I always wanted to know why the seemed to be 'backwards' sometimes, but guess that would make sense.