Question about a stove/oven issue I'm having...

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
I just heated my oven to bake some fish. As it's preheating, I'm reading AT. I went back and I noticed that, despite all the surface burners being off, one of the burners is really, really HOT. What gives? Why could this be happening? I never noticed this before. Should I talk to my landlord about getting this replaced? Is it an electrical fire risk?

I'm assuming that when I turn off the oven, the surface burner will cool down. But the two shouldn't be correlated....

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Contact your landlord. There is definately a problem with your unit. New ovens/stoves are only $500 or so.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like faulty wiring.

Considering your stove is a big hunk of metal that you're in contact with whenever you're using it, I'd have it fixed.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

Considering your stove is a big hunk of metal that you're in contact with whenever you're using it, I'd have it fixed.

Did he say his stove/oven is electric?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's more than likely the rear right or left burner and is due to the 'chimney'.

Try cleaning your oven and touching that one, instant 3rd degree burns :)

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy

Well it is, he assumed correctly.

Why would they put a 'chimney' right over the burner? In any over I've ever worked with, I've never seen or heard of that before.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Elemental007

Why would they put a 'chimney' right over the burner? In any over I've ever worked with, I've never seen or heard of that before.

You must not be very old.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

Is it an electrical fire risk?
:p

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001

Remove the element if you can.
If it stops getting hot, you know you've got a wiring problem. Otherwise, it's just the heat coming from the oven.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

If it stops getting hot, you know you've got a wiring problem. Otherwise, it's just the heat coming from the oven.

I really doubt it's the heat from the oven. You should be able to tell if the burner is on or not.

If you really can't, do you have access to a volt meter? You could take the burner in question out, and see if it's recieving current.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Elemental007

The chimney goes under the burner and directs to the oven....

It is needed for self cleaning ovens due to the fact that you seal the door shut and there are gases created by the cleaning, I believe. I would imagine on the really dirty and greasy oven there could be quite a bit of pressure built up. In flat topped ranges the 'chimney' is in the back guard of the stove that the knobs and buttons usually sit on.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I think I am unaware of all this chimney stuff. I have never felt a vent of hot air anywhere from any oven we've ever had.. heh.

Wouldn't having a chimney kinda defeat the purpose of an oven? It would be terribly inefficient, always losing its heat & having to be on..

:confused:

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

Yep, do this. There is a vent from the oven, and it's probably under that burner. If you unplug the burner, and it still gets hot, there you go!