Question about a few graphics settings and the benefits of having them on or off

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
First of all I play Crysis, Crysis Warhead, GTA4, FC2 and GRID racing. My question is about some of the settings in the nvidia control panel that I have never known what they are for but always turn on, or don't know how much they affect performance.

So I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how much having these settings on will hurt performance, if any.

Triple Buffering
Force Mipmaps
Texture Filtering trilinear Optimization

I use 8X AF if that matters. On Crysis and Warhead I use no Anti Aliasing.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Triple Buffering generally increases performance when V-Sync is enabled, the performance benefits of Triple Buffering may vary from games to games, it's not a universal and fixed frame-rate bonus all across the board. The Force Mipmaps option, if set to any settings other than disabled, will indeed force mipmaps in games that normally don't use/support mipmaps, and from what I understand of mipmaps it's simply a method used for textures to look "better" overall, but at the cost of some performance (depending on the games of course). And Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization is used when the Texture Filtering Quality option is set to High Quality, and if that is the case then the result of having Trilinear Optimization enabled will be a slight reduction of textures quality which generally helps increasing performance.