Question about 3 monitor setup

Gimmethemshoes

Dec 1, 2015
I really have no need for 3 monitors, but I want to start playing my console games on a monitor so i can just stay at my desk. Im currently working on a gaming setup desk.

Whats the typical use for 3 monitors? Are they typically used for 1 thing, like playing a PC game across 3 screens?

Im really just going for the "cool" factor for 3 monitors, but I really would like to have 1 monitor for console gaming, center monitor for web, and probably the 3rd connected to the middle.

Can anyone recommend some good monitors for console gaming, and would like all of them to match obviously.

I currently have 1 monitor, and its the QNIX 2710 1440p monitor.

Pretty much a newbie at this obviously.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I have 3 monitors.

They are used for different things at different times.

Sometimes I play a game across all 3 monitors.
If it is a strategy game or a game that doesnt play nice with eyefinity I will sometimes put netflix on one monitor and the game on the other. The third monitor is also connected to a docking station for my work laptop and I may monitor the environment or work off and on on a project.

You could hook up 3 monitors and connect one to both the console and the PC and use it how you like, or you could do that with two monitors.

With the 1440p monitor I don't suggest trying to game across 3 1440p monitors as it will be very intense. I use CF 290s for 3x1200p and have to turn some settings down.

Since you are interested in console gaming my suggestion is to find a 60hz 1080p monitor with decent color and use it for both your console and as your additional monitor on your PC. It will be good for Netflix, Youtube, Mumble etc on your PC and will work well with a console without breaking the bank.

Gimmethemshoes

Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply man.. Really trying to get this man cave/gaming setup going. 2 Monitors would be enough for me, but i also do video editing so a 3rd monitor could really be cool to have too.

When you say hook up one to both console and PC, im guessing monitors now have 2 hdmi inputs? Also, is there a way to hook up my console to my monitor, but also keep it connected to my main tv, say a friend comes over and wants to play but i dont want him to take up my desk area? Some sort of HDMI splitter?