Querying State/Province info from brower?

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
Do you choose *not* to use a more profound vocabulary to articulate your thoughts, or do you just not have the ability to do so? Perhaps you should try adding some more adjectives to your short list, and perhaps you will sound as smart as you attempt to be with your creative spelling!!

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
I know that some NFO can be leached (pcp*******6pcs.*******.pa.comcast.net) and then parsed, but can this be done over most IPs?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cryptography
Do you choose *not* to use a more profound vocabulary to articulate your thoughts, or do you just not have the ability to do so? Perhaps you should try adding some more adjectives to your short list, and perhaps you will sound as smart as you attempt to be with your creative spelling!!

Perhaps you would sound smarter if you didn't ask absolutely ridiculous questions about browsers knowing what state they're in. Why would a browser know what state it was in? When you installed your operating system and/or web browser, do you remember entering your address? No? Then where, pray tell, is your browser supposed to get this information from? GPS? Do you have a satellite navigation system installed in your PC?

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I know that some NFO can be leached (pcp*******6pcs.*******.pa.comcast.net) and then parsed, but can this be done over most IPs?

That's assuming all ISPs format their host names in the same fashion, but they don't.

You can trace the source of the IP, but that would be a difficult task.

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
Perhaps you would sound smarter if you didn't ask absolutely ridiculous questions about browsers knowing what state they're in

you can get a users IP from a browser and i did not tell it that. So if i can get an IP i was wondering if this information went any deeper. The theory of doing a reverse DNS on a IP and that information being linked to an IP station in a particular state seems like not too far of a fetch to me. But that is why I asked the question.

Even my ignorance in this subject hardly warranted your use of adjectives which negates the reason why I posted here as I thought I would have received an intelligent response and not one more likened to a AOLer mentality.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand....

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Perhaps you would sound smarter if you didn't ask absolutely ridiculous questions about browsers knowing what state they're in

you can get a users IP from a browser and i did not tell it that. So if i can get an IP i was wondering if this information went any deeper. The theory of doing a reverse DNS on a IP and that information being linked to an IP station in a particular state seems like not too far of a fetch to me. But that is why I asked the question.

Even my ignorance in this subject hardly warranted your use of adjectives which negates the reason why I posted here as I thought I would have received an intelligent response and not one more likened to a AOLer mentality.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand....
#1: You would be much better off turning down your own superiority complex a bit, if you want to get serious answers to your queries.

#2: insulting members who have been here for years won't help you either.

If you have someones's IP addy you can do a whois on it and find out what info (not NFO) exists for that person.

You should have looked this up in the Networking forum here.

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
#1: You would be much better off turning down your own superiority complex a bit, if you want to get serious answers to your queries.

This is just too funny! how is it when someone that has been here for years and thus should know not to use such language, nor should this person be flaming someone, even if asked a stupid question, yet *I* get the lashing for acting superior. How I am acting in such a way I?m not sure. Is it because I choose to address [stupid] profanity as said user addressed my stupid question?

if you want to get serious answers to your queries

How was the answer I received perceived as serious, which i may add was prior my rebuttal!

And is it more right that a person having been here for some time and thus possessing the knowledge of proper forum etiquette to insult someone, than it is for that someone to use a chastising rebuttal?

A simple 'sorry bud, that can't happen' would have really been nice from someone with such long history here!!

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Google AdSense uses geotargeting by country and state. You might find more info on their site about how they do it.

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by: DeathByAnts
Google AdSense uses geotargeting by country and state. You might find more info on their site about how they do it.

thanks DeathByAnts, this is the direction i needed.... :wine:

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
It is a valid question. Web servers log all IP's, and there are tools to connect to geographic location. I saw an ad for a service to connect it to zip codes (similar to http://www.ip2region.com/). It's not accurate, esp. when dealing with large ISPs.

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by: GreenGhost
It is a valid question. Web servers log all IP's, and there are tools to connect to geographic location. I saw an ad for a service to connect it to zip codes (similar to http://www.ip2region.com/). It's not accurate, esp. when dealing with large ISPs.

Thanks GreenGhost!! And not too expensive either :)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

This is just too funny! how is it when someone that has been here for years and thus should know not to use such language, nor should this person be flaming someone, even if asked a stupid question, yet *I* get the lashing for acting superior. How I am acting in such a way I?m not sure. Is it because I choose to address [stupid] profanity as said user addressed my stupid question?

if you want to get serious answers to your queries

How was the answer I received perceived as serious, which i may add was prior my rebuttal!

And is it more right that a person having been here for some time and thus possessing the knowledge of proper forum etiquette to insult someone, than it is for that someone to use a chastising rebuttal?

A simple 'sorry bud, that can't happen' would have really been nice from someone with such long history here!!
You don't get it, do you?

There is no need to argue or insult someone if they say your post is silly or stupid. Just ignore it.

cryptography

Jan 29, 2002
You don't get it, do you?

There is no need to argue or insult someone if they say your post is silly or stupid. Just ignore it.

No, sorry, you don?t get it. I am not accustomed to sitting idly by while someone insults me. If that person can?t handle a rebuttal, then it is my suggestion they don?t post such obnoxious rhetoric.

Beside that, if one is to ignore it, then why haven?t you just ignored my post instead of finding the need to tell me to ignore it?

But this *is* degrading into something childish and I have received my answer my intelligent users of this forum.

PLUNK