Quebec may secede from Canada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
If the Quebecois want it, then so be it. I'm not Canadian, so don't care really. I don't think all of Canada will break up, Ontario and maybe Newfoundland could be viable sovereign states, I doubt the Yukon Terrorities could though.

North America pisses me off a bit though, they have so much land and resources, they have cultures which are recent and amalgams of other cultures, and they still by and large are anti-immigration lol...

yea... number 1 and 7 in immigration. :rolleyes:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

Those are raw numbers. Sort it by percentage of population and it changes a lot.
Andorra - 77% immigrants
Qatar - 76% immigrants
Australia - 20%
Canada - 19%
United States - 13%

You can tell which countries suck the most ass by looking at what percentage of the people are immigrants. The ones at the bottom with virtually no immigration are the shit holes like Iraq, Peru, Vietnam, Egypt, etc.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Those are raw numbers. Sort it by percentage of population and it changes a lot.
Andorra - 77% immigrants
Qatar - 76% immigrants
Australia - 20%
Canada - 19%
United States - 13%

You can tell which countries suck the most ass by looking at what percentage of the people are immigrants. The ones at the bottom with virtually no immigration are the shit holes like Iraq, Peru, Vietnam, Egypt, etc.

that's a misleading since those high percent countries are basically getting close to slave labor from poor countries. Above 10% of your population being from immigrants doesn't seem to be poor to me.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Andorra - 77% immigrants
Qatar - 76% immigrants
Australia - 20%
Canada - 19%
United States - 13%

The US is the third most populated nation on the planet. We have a population of 313 Million people. That means there are over 35 Million immigrants in the US. That is more people than the combined populations of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark combined. Heck, it is just slightly lower than the entire population of Poland...and is 1.5 times the population of Australia. Not a small number of immigrants.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I first joined this forum in 1998 as well using ProJo as my user name however, I forgot my password so I created a new user name.

I'm a fan of you making a fool out of yourself on a daily basis.

:eek: o_O :'( :) :D :sneaky:

Hope you don't mind the edit, if you do I will remove it. I figured you would not mind, though.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
lol, Canadian Conservatives have taken a benign statement from Justin and turned it into Mt Everest. Epic Strawman is a Strawman.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Andorra - 77% immigrants
Qatar - 76% immigrants
Australia - 20%
Canada - 19%
United States - 13%

Interesting that the US claims to be a nation of immigrants but all the other "new world" English-speaking nations have a higher percentage of immigrants as part of their population. 20% for Aus, 19% for Canada, and 15% for NZ.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Interesting that the US claims to be a nation of immigrants but all the other "new world" English-speaking nations have a higher percentage of immigrants as part of their population. 20% for Aus, 19% for Canada, and 15% for NZ.

Interesting that you're so bad at math that you don't realize that there are more immigrants in the United States than the ENTIRE population of Australia (22.3 million) or the ENTIRE population of Canada (a little over 34 million), or the ENTIRE population of NZ.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Looks like there might me two Countries north of the U.S. soon.

They have tried before and didn't succeed but they are growing very tired of the Conservative rule up there.

The Canucks in the big City of Quebec don't like the Religious Radical Righties that plague their country just like many in the U.S. don't like them here either.

Very tired of the Conservative rule? Conservatives just won a majority government having gone from 124 seats and a minority government in 2006 to a 166 seat majority in 2011. Conservatives are only getting stronger as Canadians are waking up.

Meanwhile the Liberal party went from 135 seats in 2004 and a minority government, to a paltry 34 seats and a distant and irrelevant 3rd in 2011. Trudeau is a political hack who's only claim to fame is that he was a former PM's son and the disorganized Liberals are hoping his name alone will somehow get him on top (ala Bush). He's a total idiot and just committed political suicide, not only for himself but for the Liberal Party if he is kept onboard. A Liberal leader vouching for a separate Quebec? So much for being the so called party of national unity.

The separatist movement is also practically dead. The separatist Bloc Quebecois went from a high of 54 seats in 2004 (all in Quebec), to a meaningless 4 seats. Even the provincial Parti Quebecois hasn't won an election since 1998.

Then again, dmcowen doesn't care about facts and an American living in Illinois believes that Quebec will be separating soon due to conservatives after warping an article about a stupid man's stupid quote.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Interesting that you're so bad at math that you don't realize that there are more immigrants in the United States than the ENTIRE population of Australia (22.3 million) or the ENTIRE population of Canada (a little over 34 million), or the ENTIRE population of NZ.

% :colbert:

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Battle lines being drawn between the rich and religious Vs the poor.

Quebec's separation dream has absolutely nothing to do with rich and religious vs. the poor. Also FYI, but Quebec is the most religious province in Canada by far percentage wise, with over 6 million Quebecois considering themselves as catholic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec

Quebec is unique among the provinces in its overwhelmingly Roman Catholic population. This is a legacy of colonial times when only Roman Catholics were permitted to settle in New France. The 2001 census showed the population to be 90.3 percent Christian (in contrast to 77 percent for the whole country) with 83.4 percent Catholic Christian (including 83.2 percent Roman Catholic); 4.7 percent Protestant Christian (including 1.2 percent Anglican, 0.7 percent United Church; and 0.5 percent Baptist); 1.4 percent Orthodox Christian (including 0.7 percent Greek Orthodox); and 0.8 percent other Christian; as well as 1.5 percent Muslim; 1.3 percent Jewish; 0.6 percent Buddhist; 0.3 percent Hindu; and 0.1 percent Sikh. An additional 5.8 percent of the population said they had no religious affiliation (including 5.6 percent who stated that they had no religion at all).
Percentages are calculated as a proportion of the total number of respondents (7,125,580)[231]

But as previously stated, facts have no place in a thread about wild and inaccurate dwmcowen674™ statements.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Since Quebec is the province I grew up in, I was almost inspired to comment in this thread earlier. Then I saw who the OP was. Dave has been an idiot here for years and others have already pointed out exactly how stupid he was on this topic.

Michael

Last edited:

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
Very tired of the Conservative rule? Conservatives just won a majority government having gone from 124 seats and a minority government in 2006 to a 166 seat majority in 2011. Conservatives are only getting stronger as Canadians are waking up.

Meanwhile the Liberal party went from 135 seats in 2004 and a minority government, to a paltry 34 seats and a distant and irrelevant 3rd in 2011. Trudeau is a political hack who's only claim to fame is that he was a former PM's son and the disorganized Liberals are hoping his name alone will somehow get him on top (ala Bush). He's a total idiot and just committed political suicide, not only for himself but for the Liberal Party if he is kept onboard. A Liberal leader vouching for a separate Quebec? So much for being the so called party of national unity.

The separatist movement is also practically dead. The separatist Bloc Quebecois went from a high of 54 seats in 2004 (all in Quebec), to a meaningless 4 seats. Even the provincial Parti Quebecois hasn't won an election since 1998.

Then again, dmcowen doesn't care about facts and an American living in Illinois believes that Quebec will be separating soon due to conservatives after warping an article about a stupid man's stupid quote.

Thread Over.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com

Every 20-30 years, Canadians give the Conservatives a majority to remind themselves why they shouldn't. :D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
There woudn't be a civil war. This is Canada. We don't do things that way. The conditions for secession are established in The Clarity Act. If they were fulfilled, separation would be negotiated. We speak with words, not guns. That is the Canadian way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarity_Act

And that's why, more than 235 years after the USA told England to get fucked...Canada still sucks the dick of the English Queen (and King)...:rolleyes:

In a way, I'd expect this issue to be just the opposite...I'd expect the "English speaking" parts of Canada to try to get rid of the Frenchies.