quarantine nurse complains

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What's stupid about being overly cautious with a disease that is killing thousands of people that there may not be enough cure of to go around if thousands of Americans catch it. Whats is the big deal? You spend months in Africa curing people, but your not worried about bringing it back to all these healthy Americans. If they can't cure the people in Sierra Leone, then obviously there are no experts.

That's not how any of this works.

-There is no cure.

-Treatment is palliative. Death occurs by low blood pressure and dehydration. The us is well equipped to treat this, thus the higher survival rate here.

-Transmission is difficult. Don't get blood/vomit/shit from a very sick person in your mouth/eyes/cuts/ass and you'll be OK.

-virus is not airborne, nor does it target the lungs (like flu) where a viral load can accumulate and be expelled through coughing.

-the virus does not survive long outside of the body. Will not accumulate on surfaces and not likely to cause infection through incidental contact.

-go read about it before you make snap decisions based on panic and fear. That helps nobody. Considering she's been on the front lines, maybe she's much more aware of the risks than you.

-you should thank that nurse for her courage and hard work as she is actively trying to save humanity.

-Best way to save Americans, as well as everyone else, is to let people like her do their work to stop the outbreak in Africa as quickly as possible. Get out of her way.

Last edited:

lnn285

Nov 3, 2014
How would you know what I've read?

If it can't survive outside the body, it would be better the less bodies there are for the disease to get into.

No cure, but people have survived, just not on a grand scale like a whole country.

Considering she's on the front line, she should be willing to be quarantined.
That's one job I wouldn't want to bring home with me.

I'm thankful for nurses considerate enough to not spread things around that they have no cure for like you said.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So is it too early for me to declare I was right about the NY doctor?

He's improving and no one else has contracted it from him, so far.

Guess I should wait another couple of weeks just to make sure there was no secondary infection to the health care workers treating him.

I'm up at half-time though. ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Guess I should wait another couple of weeks just to make sure there was no secondary infection to the health care workers treating him.

I was wondering that too. At what point do people have to say "maybe those doctors knew more about Ebola than the Internet did, after all."

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Yeah and has anybody gotten sick from that nurse that took a plane flight when she had elevated temperature?