Quake Wars to land in-game ads

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
if its like BF2142 where they have actual ads on billboards or sprayed on walls, I could care less. Make it intrusive in any way, and then I just dont buy the game.

Running

May 30, 2006
why should it matter? if it doesn't affect game play and keeps us from not having a monthly fee i'm all for it

Feb 6, 2007
If they take the vALVE "Let's put ads on random walls in CS 1.6" approach, then **** them, I'm not buying the game.

If they put ads on billboards, or flyers/posters on a wall, that just enhances the realism (there are ads in real life). I'm fine with that as a way to defer costs.

Running

May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
If they take the vALVE "Let's put ads on random walls in CS 1.6" approach, then **** them, I'm not buying the game.

If they put ads on billboards, or flyers/posters on a wall, that just enhances the realism (there are ads in real life). I'm fine with that as a way to defer costs.

valve really only put ads on spawn points. i don't see why people wouldn't buy or play a good game just because their are ads in it

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Running
why should it matter? if it doesn't affect game play and keeps us from not having a monthly fee i'm all for it
This game sounds exactly like Battlefield 2 and will most likely play the same sort of way, and that game didn't have ads. This is a crap step to take, and I think we need to abstain from buying games with this lazy way of making money.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TehMac
This game sounds exactly like Battlefield 2 and will most likely play the same sort of way, and that game didn't have ads. This is a crap step to take, and I think we need to abstain from buying games with this lazy way of making money.

its actually worse than BF2. same style of game but the gameplay is worse

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

You deserve to be burned at the stake. There is no way a Quake game will be worse than BF2.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
The BF2142 debacle was blown way out of proportion, way, WAY out of proportion. So I'm not going to get all riled up again over this.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

concrete objectives are a lot more interesting than "whose tickets run out first?"

i'll see once i get my hands on a key, but i didn't like BF2 at all except for 1 or 2 maps. even then, the game got old very quickly.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
They should make two versions, one with ads and one without ads. The one without ads should cost the standard computer game price, the one with ads should cost less.

This is how things start though, baby steps. Today they simply put in ads on billboards, flyers on the ground, etc. After people become accustomed to seeing them in those places, they'll add in more ads to other places. Eventually, you'll be watching full blown commercials every couple of minutes in the game or watching them continuously in a PiP. This will happen because of the utter lack of public backlash against it.

I personally, am very wary about buying any game that displays ads. I paid for the game already, I don't need to see ads in the game. If they want to make more profit, they can make worthwhile expansion packs.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX

You deserve to be burned at the stake. There is no way a Quake game will be worse than BF2.

ah, fanboys. the reason sh!tty games keep getting made.
if you didn't like BF2 or its variants, you will not like this. and i stand by my comments of it being worse than BF2.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005

if you didn't like BF2 or its variants, you will not like this. and i stand by my comments of it being worse than BF2.

I really dont like BF 1942/2/any other BF game.
But im loving this game.
Have you beta tested any other games before? This is my 28th beta. Alot of betas start like crap but improve. Give it time and see how it feels in a few weeks.
I like the vehicle controls, they just need to fix the clipping and it will make controling alot better.
What are your hardware specs? Ive got the game cranked up and it looks awesome!

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

How long did it take for BF2 to be playable after it was released a YEAR AND A HALF! This is a BETA, give it time and you will LOVE IT> :D :D :D

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Pontifex goes into a beta just to rate a game. One of my personal pet peeves, people who don't understand what betas are and then use them to spread misinformation.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skacer
Pontifex goes into a beta just to rate a game. One of my personal pet peeves, people who don't understand what betas are and then use them to spread misinformation.

i know what a beta is and this is an open beta, meaning its almost ready for release. the game is scheduled for release on 8/1. Thats about a month away - not very long. I can't imagine that they would change the game that siginifcantly in that short amount of time.
sure, they can tweak the way the guns work but its still going to be the same crappy BF2 style of gameplay. they aren't going to change that.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO

How long did it take for BF2 to be playable after it was released a YEAR AND A HALF! This is a BETA, give it time and you will LOVE IT> :D :D :D

i still hate BF2 so i don't think i'll like its clone.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
i know what a beta is and this is an open beta, meaning its almost ready for release. the game is scheduled for release on 8/1. Thats about a month away - not very long. I can't imagine that they would change the game that siginifcantly in that short amount of time.
sure, they can tweak the way the guns work but its still going to be the same crappy BF2 style of gameplay. they aren't going to change that.

Regardless of what they do, don't do, or when it gets released, you ARE still playing a beta and you should be reserving your judgment for a demo or right before release.

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
As long as Splash Damage doesn't put spyware in the game like Dice did with BF2142, I'm fine.

It's got spyware too. Not buying this game because of it. Like above poster stated. This is just the start. If we accept this they will escalate the level of advertising until it's hardly a game anymore.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well..from the description - the ads will be in places you'd expect to see an ad.

Does BF2 use the same concept - place ads in places where you'd normally see an ad in real life? [ie: billboards, side of a truck, on a wall, etc]? If that's the case - then no problem. - I ignore most of them anyway... :)

Other games have ads as well - most of them aren't real, but they are in the game - GTA series, Prey, F.E.A.R., etc - and you don't see people complaining about it....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skacer

Regardless of what they do, don't do, or when it gets released, you ARE still playing a beta and you should be reserving your judgment for a demo or right before release.

i've played several beta versions of games and i can't think of one where anything noticeable had changed from then to release, especially regarding how the game is played.