Quake IV

benjpw

Banned
Jul 13, 2007
Steam is having a special sale on all iD games since they are now on Steam.

I figured it was a perfect chance to pick up Q4. Anyone play it? Is it worth it? I would only play multiplayer so I am curious to see.

I currently enjoy CSS, BF2 pack, etc.

Software for Windows -> PC Gaming

-Schadenfroh

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Eh Q4 multiplayer is like blasphemy compared to Q3 multiplayer.

I still play it occasionally, but then i usually get frustrated after a bit because it's truely crappy compared to what it could have been.
UT2k4 or Painkiller are much better "unrealistic" fast paced fps titles IMO.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It was quite a bit better than Doom3. Worth a go if you can get it for $20 or under.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Last time I checked, there were very few people playing multiplayer Quake 4. Quake 3 is still far more popular.

Apr 29, 2007
get the 1.4.2 patch and play mp. its fun if youre familiar or have the patience to learn it. not quite up to q3, but then again, wtf is better than q3? :)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptainJackSwallows
get the 1.4.2 patch and play mp. its fun if youre familiar or have the patience to learn it. not quite up to q3, but then again, wtf is better than q3? :)

Quake 1 TF, then ACTION QUAKE 2!! Ahhh... old school. Still my most fun multiplayer experiences.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Quake IV is a fun game, but it should've been developed by id themselves, and it could've been better. C'mon, would it kill you to have a Team based mode besides CTF?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I found the single player to just be ok and the multiplayer has been relatively barren for quite some time now.

For $10.00 though, I would probably just pick it up and give it a shot.

KT

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
the single player is OK. Feels like another Doom 3. The multiplayer is near identical to Q3 with some minor tweaks (like some buff and rail gun isnt 1 shot kills). Maybe I am too used to CS style but to me it is ridiculously fast.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
If you're only interested in multiplayer, Q4 isn't really worth it. Maybe it's been the times in the last few weeks that I've tried to play or maybe my server browser sucks, but it's really difficult to find a game going on.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Multiplayer is average; your run of the mill "deathmatch", everyone's on speed style.

Now singleplayer, this is where it shines. I'll probably never go back and replay it, but the experience was amazing and shocking. It has one of the most disturbing and memorable sequences ever in an FPS.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Quake IV is a fun game, but it should've been developed by id themselves, and it could've been better. C'mon, would it kill you to have a Team based mode besides CTF?

Yeah ID makes GREAT games like Doom III *cough hack cough*

The best choice ID made was to outsource Quake IV, even if it wasn't great it was better than anything ID could/would have done.