Quake 4 Autoexec.cfg Help Please?!

bushwickbill

Jul 21, 2007
I have been trying to Get a Mod or something to help beef up the graphics. I found one from Filefront that looks awesome. It includes a few mods into one 85MB file!!
http://quake4.filefront.com/file/Par...83475#Download
So the problem is, I can't figure out where this file goes exactly
I am fairly new the p.C. Game modding. I only recently figured out to use a Autoexec.cfg on Crysis to enable 'sunshafts' and some other Cool things.
Now that I am trying to use a Autoexec.cfg file on Quake 4 I am running into some issues. Mainly, I don't know where to put this file. Under the 'Read Me' file inside the Quake 4 file that I downloaded, Or on that Link that is above to Filefront there is no clear directions as to where it goes. So does anybody here have any experience on modding Quake 4?? And do you mind helping me figure this out?
My Over goal is to make this Game looking as best as it can. I am willing to sacrifice performance for Quality. As things are, I can run Everything to Ultra/Max settings and force 8AA/16AF in Nvidia CP to get this game to hitch or Lag or slow down lower than 45FPS. I am not concerned about Multi player either. Just want the Best Graphics my Rig can put out for the Single Player
I also found this Link(Below) that discusses the same Idea And I can't figure it out either. It is supposed to Bring the Graphics above Qutra This I wanna see
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake4/FPSConfigs.htm
And Here is another link to a Quake 4 mod, this one is to the Earlier version of the Mod I am trying to use. At the bottom of that page is some user comments about people having problems installing said mod.
http://quake4.filefront.com/file/Parallax_Extreme;82524
But I don't get what they are saying? As I mentions, I basically need a "Modding for Dummies" book. I am not saying I am stupid, This stuff is confusing without having Prior Experience with Computers or P.C. Game Modding. This is my first year using a P.C. Your wondering how a 32 Year old Guy has never used a computer for more than a Year? Just been a Hard Worker, Not into Computers at all before this Year. I have been Playing Console Games for Over 20 Years. I used to Play "Ice Hockey" for the Original Nintendo. Or How about the "Zelda", "ExciteBike"? I grew up on that *****.
Now I am learning the Very Basics of Overclocking Computers on a Expensive Gaming Rig.
I am getting there, Slowly. This mod looks like it will make Quake 4 look Very Good.
Can't wait to get it Working!!
Thanx for any help People

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
wow you have to use a special file to enable stuff in crysis?

This should be included in the main game menus.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
wow you have to use a special file to enable stuff in crysis?

This should be included in the main game menus.

You can edit the config file in Crysis to enable some "directx 10 only" content on a windows xp machine.

bushwickbill

Jul 21, 2007
Thanx for the Help. Took a bit of figuring, But I got it. And as for Crysis, I am running Win XP. So to be able to enable a lot of the 'Very high' setting features is very nice.
Quake 4 does look alot better now with this tweak enabled.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Also, as a longtime Q4 player, I wouldn't recommend using an autoexec.cfg. It creates some problems that don't occur using the regular q4config.cfg.