Quadro NVS285 = GeForce...???

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
My friend just ordered a Dell Precision 390 with a base Conroe and an NVS285 for ~1100. It seems like a good deal for him since he wants a warranty a stuff. His only requirements are literally that it be able to play HaloPC well and handle all his Photoshop:CS2 needs. He's been getting by on a crappy Willamet core for a while now, but with Core 2 Duos out and being cheap, I suggested he pounce.

I was sure of all the components he got except the entry-level Quadro NVS285. Since he ordered from the "small business" section, he's only able to select workstation graphics cards - which are exhorbently expensive for what they are. I know that the NVS285 is a 64-bit chip, but does it share common architecture with a 7300? 6200? I'd like to know what to expect for gaming performance.

I'm trying to convince him to let me build him one using Newegg parts for under $800, but he's one of those types...

kpb

Oct 18, 2001
From nvidia's faq about the cards

Q. What are the benefits of the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 over the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280?

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 is the latest generation of dual head, low-profile graphics card designed for corporate applications. Featuring 64MB of graphics memory and 64MB of system memory using NVIDIA® TurboCache? Technology, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 has higher performance than the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 (64MB local frame buffer only) please see performance comparison below). In addition, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 is RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliant, in accordance with regulation from European Nations (EU) and Japan.

Off hand I'd have to say that means it's a 6200. Either way gaming performance is gonna suck.

bwnv

Feb 3, 2004
It will suck b@lls. Also it's low profile so he might not be able to upgrade unless he gets another LP card (no extra room for regular profile). Also, some of these are on-board so it's possible the thing doesn't have a pcie or agp slot. Not good at all.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Well, I happen to know the 390 has a full-size PCI-E 16X slot, so upgrading won't be an issue. I am really just looking for any sort of gaming benchmark of it or a related card...