Quad cores or dual cores with twice the performance core. Real world performance?

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Just for kicks, I compared The current G4400 vs x5470 from 7 years ago. They both run at about 3.3GHz and benchmarks show the combined performance of these CPUs are nearly identical meaning that each core in G4400 is about twice as powerful. Neither of them have hyperthreading.

If we were to call the combined performance of all cores as 1,
What real world uses benefit more from having four cores each providing 25%?
What about situations that benefit more from two cores each providing 50%?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
See Apple A10 Fusion (2 fast cores) vs Samsung Exynos 8890 (4 slower cores).

Geekbench 4 single/multi-core:
3450/5600 vs 1760/5200

For stuff that isn't well-optimized for multi-core, it's obvious which will likely do a lot better.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
See Apple A10 Fusion (2 fast cores) vs Samsung Exynos 8890 (4 slower cores).

Geekbench 4 single/multi-core:
3450/5600 vs 1760/5200

For stuff that isn't well-optimized for multi-core, it's obvious which will likely do a lot better.

Stuff such as? I am wondering specific real world examples.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I don't use Handbrake anymore these days but for example, Handbrake is often touted as the king of multithreaded CPU use, and can peg all 8 threads of a hyperthreaded 4-core CPU for video encoding.

However, even in Handbrake a few of the encoding options are not multi-threaded, which means if you are choosing those options, then you will often get way higher performance in that scenario on that hypothetical 2-fast-core setup as compared to the 4-slow-core setup.

And some browsers aren't very well multi-threaded.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Real world performance? if you watch youtube while doing some cpu intensive task, like video gaming, encoding and the like, with 4 core you won't slow down as much, even if they are crappier. So perhaps slower but "smoother And like some people said, in some cases software doesn't scale well with more cores (in fact even in perfectly scaled apps there's law of diminishing returns with number of cores). A lot of emulators use only 1 core as well, and there are also cases where the new g4400 knows more optimized instructions and will do the same task way faster than expected.

I used to have g3258 dual core running 4.5ghz by the way, it was perfectly fine for playing older games, but with newer games it struggled and had unpredictable performance, in one area of the game silky smooth then turning to slideshow in more intense areas, that's why I switched to my 4c/8t xeon $200 off ebay (about same as stock 4770k) and It's really great for my multitasking/gaming demands

Last edited: