Qs: Celerons / voltages / slotkets

MIDIman

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I've read about people giving bringing the voltage of a Celeron below 2.0 to increase overclocking possibilities - 1) why exactly does thsi work better sometimes? 2) How do I do it with my Asus P3B-F? I only have 2.0+ as an option.

Also - I have two slotkets. One is the MSI (FCPGA), and the other is IWill (also FCPGA). I'm curious though - if I SET the voltage or FSB on the slotket (rather than Auto), do I have to make sure BIOS is set at the same thing? I started messing with settings on the Iwill slotket yesterday and didn't get much success.

Jul 1, 2000
I have the MSI 6905 Master Slocket on an Abit BE6-II with a Celeron II 566@875.BIOS has voltage settings up to 1.8V.When I set the voltage at 1.8 from the slocket then this becomes the default voltage at BIOS and have more voltage options higher than 1.8V (I think up to 2.0Volts or something).

percboy

Apr 5, 2000
Just to be sure . When you set voltage on slotket, you set voltage in bios ,for motherboard, at "default"? I`m using a BH6 board.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MIDIman,

You might be confusing the original Celerons with the newer Celeron 2s. The older Celerons have a default voltage of 2 volts, the newer Celeron 2 has a default voltage of 1.5 volts.

The core of the chips are different, the older one is .25 micron, the newer one is .18 micron so it needs less voltage.

Jul 1, 2000
Percboy:

When I set voltage at 1.8 from slocket it becomes default voltage in BIOS by means that it is the setting that I'll get when I load BIOS defaults.Also it says "1.85 Default Voltage" when I choose this setting.What actually happens is that you get a shift on available voltage options.Then you can set the voltage from BIOS at 1.85V while the setting of the Slocket is at 1.8V and you will get 1.85Volts (the BIOS setting).

MIDIman

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Dead parrot - so with that logic, I won't be able to get the older .25 Celeron to run at less than 2.0v? I could've sworn I saw others doing this, but I could be wrong.

Thanks all for the replies!

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
MIDIman
The .25 Micron older celerons had a default voltage of 2.0, a max. of 2.30 and a min. of 1.80V.