• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

QNAP TS-253A + 2x WD 6TB Red pro or RE ?

QNAP TS-253A + 2x WD 6TB Red pro or RE ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MeloVTi

Nov 23, 2016
Hi,

I'm about to buy a new NAS, and after lot of research, I found the QNAP TS-253A to be my choice.
I will drop in it 2x 6TB drives to configure with RAID1.
My doubt is regarding which drive to choose.
No doubts between WD Red and Red pro, but this week I was about to go for it, and I realized the RE is only more 10€ then the Red pro.
The NAS is to replace my 2xTB in my desktop that is turned on 24x7 because of the data, and in near future I will use it also for surveillance. Also, of course it will be used as a media center.

So, what you experienced guys think about 6TB WD RE vs Red pro?

Thanks!

FFFF

Dec 20, 2015
For only 10$ more, RE is definitely worth it since it's a enterprise grade drive.

MeloVTi

Nov 23, 2016
Thanks for the reply,

Of course, but WD also states Red Pro as enterprise, and also gets a 5 year warranty.
Will RE be well supported by that NAS?

I work in IT with hi end storages. That's why I value enterprise rated products.

MeloVTi

Nov 23, 2016
I also was supposing so.

But, just by coincidence, I received minutes ago a reply from a ticket I opened at Qnap:

Thank you for your inquiry, hope you are having a good day.

The compatibility list is the reference that we use to recommend our drives. The ones without a document in the note column have completed the testing procedure from our Product Management team in our lab. Therefore, other references, although they may work (specially WD Red), are not recommended from QNAP.
My question was:

“I was choosing 2 drives to configure a TS-253A, and I faced a doubt. The drives I am in doubt between, is a 6TB WD Red pro and RE. Since price is not an issue here, which one of those dives better suits TS-253A? Another question I have is regarding the reference number of 6TB WD RE that’s in the compatibility list. In the list is present the WD6001FSYZ, but im my local store, they have the WD6001FXYZ. Is this reference also compatible?”

What do think about?

MeloVTi

Nov 23, 2016
Of course. My concern is, in case of a future drive failure, if there is an issue and I need QNAP support, they refuse giving support on recovery, because of unsupported drives.

In the position of the support team, I had to refuse support to some of my customers more than once because of unsupported drives…

FFFF

Dec 20, 2015
If the drive won't fail completely, that will hardly matter as QNAP's recovery tools are Linux based.

MeloVTi

Nov 23, 2016
If the drive won't fail completely, that will hardly matter as QNAP's recovery tools are Linux based.
Wtf!!! Don’t know why, but I wrote a long post after that one, and it just got lost…

Has I remember, resuming, I received another e-mail from another QNAP team 2 hours later. The “senior engineer” that replied agreed about RE superiority, but the issue is the following. The 6TB WD RE drive available with similar price to Red Pro that is for sale in my country is not supported by QNAP because it's a 4k drive. I can’t find that info on the WD page, but that justifies the answer from QNAP.

I just realized that by coincidence by comparing the drive specs, in the field “Series” of Span.com:

http://www.span.com/compare/WD6002FFWX-vs-WD6001FSYZ-vs-WD6001FXYZ/57337-49877-49878

So the scenario changes:
Supported Red Pro (WD6002FFWX) - 337,90€ on local store
Unsupported RE (WD6001FXYZ) - 346.90€ on local store
Supported RE (WD6001FSYZ) – 405,98€ from another country and ordered by Internet

So, for 2 drives, it’s 136,16€ more between supported RE and Red Pro, and the risk of drives getting damaged because of transport by courier.

Saying so, I’m considering going for the Red Pro…

Do you guys think I'm well served with Red Pro for 24x7 NAS?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Muadib Memory and Storage 19

ASK THE COMMUNITY