Q9450 or E8400?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Considering Q9450 has 8x, E8400 9x, if one buys the Q then he's probably not breaking 4Ghz while E8400 will easily go over 4 or even 4.5 range. So what do you guys think? which is better choice? price could be close when introed.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Well, depends a LOT on what you are going to use it for. Most apps nowadays do not support multicore (which is VERY unfortunate seeing how long they've been out).....gaming, a LOT of games do not support it either. Newer games are slowly doing it. Adobe CS2/3 I believe will support it. My Digital Audio Workstation software I am using does (Ableton Live) as folks are running on the Q6600 and it is using all cores. Eventually the software will finally catch up (same with regards to 64-bit apps.....why we are so far behind with regards to it on the desktop is beyond me...). I went with the E8400 due to it being available (not now....as of tonight) at compusa.com which I ordered over the weekend. As of tonight it is not showing up in the listing on the website. Guess folks saw my post at eggxpert.com forums and went and ordered them..... The Q9xx0 CPU's aren't in newegg's listing. PCMall had them BUT 2-3 wk backorder for them (450/550 models). And I can't see why the 9550 is >$200 more than the 450 seeing such a small speed increase and maybe a 9x multiplier vs 8. STUPID if you ask me...but hey, it's capitalism at its best eh?

djplayer

Jan 10, 2008
I personally thought the Q9450 was to overpriced to purchase currently. Instead I bought the e8400 until prices on the quads come down a little (if ever). I have mine clocked to 3.6 using stock voltage and running as cool as it did at 3.0. But if someone had the q9450 in one hand and the e8400. I'd take the Q w/o even thinking twice. (I personally am not a gamer, just many many intensive programs for programming, design, networking etc.. )

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Yeah, my E8400 didn't easily go over 4GHz. And it is 4.2GHz that seems to be the average practical upper limit. Only the best chips can do ~4.5GHz and that's usually with volts many here wouldn't be comfortable with for 24/7 use..

Of course with the Q9450 not even out yet and the E8400 pretty much completely sold out, you can't have either at the moment :p.

And pricing should be VERY different. I don't know where you get the idea that it could be close

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Well, I may bump it up to 3.6Ghz, but first let me get things put together, OS installed and driver/OS updates out of the way. Then I will look at the OC side of things...which means not till probably sunday/early next week if I am done with my installs of software and their updates.

hennethannun

Jun 25, 2005
wow, I got my E8400 at the beginning of february for $209 shipped. i think $183 is Intel bulk price, right? so i think ~$200 is what they should be selling for now, assuming you can find one.

but supply/demand and all seems to be making the etailers a bit greedy.

as for the original debate, my gut feeling is that quad core still isn't worth the price/energy/heat premium for the majority of computer users. those who do serious amount of multi-threaded programming should probably consider quad if the price is competitive. but most users, gamers and even power users are just as well served by a faster dual-core that runs cooler, uses less energy and will match the performance of any quad in most programs.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
who but take up clean air we knew tax tax and in rumors of manufacture problems the next step in that direction of Intel?s accelerated to talk strategy which was pledges process technology shrinks of existing designs in the introduction of entirely new core detectors in on an opening two years cycle, the release of a new line of 45 AM either Dole or processors codenamed will fail built on the familiar chord to do (cheers rhys processors featuring two notable changes were some rather large even in cases for the overcrowding, which will discuss in more detail later for stars advancement in process technology allowed Intel to shrink the transistors using these CPUs from western nations 65,000,000lb. of 45 in the airline 1450% reduction in tax cuts for a ?design to one while e-mail to cache size has been since substantially increased the 8000 series processors will feature up to 6MB of shared out to catch up from 4MB prepare however the larger healthy cash comes with a move from the previous rulings the form a new label and session since came to a more complicated 24 alliances and cash when using six by the way it is adding prior precious NS teach that the larger cash is technically better with only a larger Eileen season one on some cases and they get the benefit so this is not clear who the new 1% cases there has been no formal word yet from Intel as to whether the strait of as a result of the use of the larger cash or if it wasn?t intended design change

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
actually after some research I think Q93xx is at about E8400's pricing. SO it's actually Q93xx vs E8400. One quad probably not too OCable, other highly OCable dual core. Which one will win? If I were to choose myself I'd probably go quad just to be ready for the future.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Cost was $242.xx at compusa.com over the weekend but guess what, it's out of stock! Wonder If I got the last one! Glad I did if so! It's $229.99 + shipping (which for the size of the item (you should have seen how big the box was...ridiculous) and shipping was $12.xx which is stupid for weight of item...crazy. But I got it and that's all that matters. Now to start putting it together maybe tomorrow night or saturday morning project! Should be up and installed later saturday afternoon if all goes well.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Q9450 @3.2GHz will be equivalent of Q6600 @3.5~3.6GHz, which in turn should be roughly equivalent to an E6600 @3.5~3.6GHz. So even with x8 multi, I'd say Q9450 is better than Q6600 if they're priced the same. :D Same goes for E8400 vs Q9450. Q9450 will likely command initial price premium of ~$150 extra over E8400, putting them in different price baskets. What's the Q9300/9350's multi? x7.5?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: nyker96
actually after some research I think Q93xx is at about E8400's pricing. SO it's actually Q93xx vs E8400. One quad probably not too OCable, other highly OCable dual core. Which one will win? If I were to choose myself I'd probably go quad just to be ready for the future.

No...Q9300 is listed to start at $266 for bulk, so we're going to see it actually sold for higher (closer to $300, and this is BEFORE any price gouging). The E8400 is supposed to be ~$200 @ retail, so a good $100 cheaper.

And when we consider that the Q9300 has half the cache of other Yorkfields, who knows, it might end up running cooler and thus clocking higher than it otherwise would.

However I generally think the same way you do. Squeezing out a couple hundred extra MHz really won't do you too much good in the longer run, you can't overclock the number of cores you have. Of course this obviously isn't that big of a deal if you upgrade often. For example, I have an E8400 and I plan to upgrade to a Q9450 :p