Q9400 versus Q9450

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Newegg pricing:
Q9400 - $280
Q9450 - $325

1) What will be the difference in performance between the 6MB and the 12MB L2 cache?
2) Is the performance justifiably worth the extra $45?

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
It depends on the application.

Also why not the Q9550 for cheaper. Buy.com

Why don't you list the purpose of the rig etc, photo shop, CAD, gaming or just surfing the net.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Hi cheex,

Too bad you are not near a Microcenter as they hav e some great prices on their processors. The closest to you would probably be Georgia. :)

Anyway, I have heard that if you are going to use it for a "folding" rig, the extra cache is a bennifet. Personally I dont see much differance as I have my Q6600 with 8Mb of cache and my Q9450 with the 12Mb, and they seem to be close in the file time completion. So, If you Give more details on what you are wanting to do, i am sure your question will be answered.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Well, its mainly a gaming rig. On the other hand, I also meddle in just about everything, from PhotoShop CS3, video encoding (nothing serious), DC (TeAm AnandTech), audio production to gaming :D

@ Drsignguy: Georgia??? I'm not even in the US (but I purchase from there). I live in Jamaica. Yes, the Caribbean. :sun:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Cheex
Well, its mainly a gaming rig. On the other hand, I also meddle in just about everything, from PhotoShop CS3, video encoding (nothing serious), DC (TeAm AnandTech), audio production to gaming :D

@ Drsignguy: Georgia??? I'm not even in the US (but I purchase from there). I live in Jamaica. Yes, the Caribbean. :sun:

I think he realized you are not in the US, though the closes one to you would still probably be in Georgia. ;) </sarcasm>

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Gillbot
Originally posted by: Cheex

I think he realized you are not in the US, though the closes one to you would still probably be in Georgia. ;) </sarcasm>

I know he knows, I was just messing around with him :p

Back you my rig though, would the extra 6MB make a difference, and if so how much?
Is it worth the extra?