Q6600 topping 60c while under load (not overclocked)

xplicid911

Jun 29, 2009
My quadcore q6600 not overclocked for the first time EVER today started to reach 60c+ under load. weather wise it has cooled into the 70s has been in the 90s all summer mobo temp is still fine.

I load up world of warcraft the computer game and after about 3 minutes of play the mobo speaker starts yelling at me. The second i tab the game it cools down, within 1 second.

ive dusted out the PC, which i do monthly, taken out the speaker, but the cpu is still reaching 65c. Checked the cpu, its still securely and properly pegged into the mobo.

At this point im lost, ne ideas or suggestions? u guys always come up pretty clutch so all help is appreciated at this point.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
That actually sounds like the correct temperature for a Q6600. I'm using an E6600 and it runs at 60C all the time. It's been like that since day 1.

google "Q6600 load temperature"
70C
60C when gaming
70C when overclocked, 65-67 at stock, 65C stock
60C

The Q6600 runs hotter than a Phenom X4 Agena. Don't worry about it.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
With quad cores I'd keep em at 15C bellow TJmax temp at full load.
That translates to about 85C for q6600 G0, 75C for q6600 B3 and somewhere around there for the 45nm quads.

Either way 80-85C* load under linpack is normal for a q6600 with a stock cooler (unless you live in a fridge).
With better cooling as ShawnD1 said 60C* is where it should be at stock, and 80-85C* when overclocked to 3.2 - 3.6 ghz.

*Note all the temps are quoted using linpack loads and "Core temps" (Use Real temp or Core temp programs to measure this) , normal max loads will be 10-15C lower in temps.

So if you're using a stock cooler, your temps are where they should be. If its an aftermarket cooler then the temps are a bit too high for stock. You should probably set the alarm to a highr temp.

(BTW I came to these numbers based on using 4 q6600 chips (2 B3 and 2 G0) in 6 different mainboards under 2 different stock coolers, 4 different aftermarket ones and one watercooling setup over the last 2 years. Only saying this cause a lot of people have extremely unrealistic expectations for temps on these quads. While the temps are as to be expected)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What program are you using to measure temps? You should be using CoreTemp or RealTemp.

The BIOS alarm is based on Tcase, or an analog approximation thereof, that the BIOS uses. CoreTemp or RealTemp use TJunction, a digital temp readout built into the cores of the chip.

Most people on this forum use TJunction as their temp measurement. 65C Tjunction is nothing to worry about. But 65C Tcase is worrysome, that means that Tjunction could be as much as 15C higher, depending on gradient. 80C TJunction is probably as hot as you want to allow your CPU to go.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
The BIOS alarm is based on Tcase, or an analog approximation thereof, that the BIOS uses.

I'm curious how a bios/mobo would go about attempting to measure or approximate Tcase.

Tcase is defined as the temp reached at the geometric center of the exterior surface of the IHS during operation. I can't think of any practical way to estimate or approximate this by way of BIOS or mobo sensors.

I could see them using a sensor embedded in the mobo under the cpu in the socket region. But that would have absolutely nothing to do with Tcase, not even as an approximation thereof. (piss-poor thermal contact to the thing creating the heat and piss-poor thermal contact to the thing tasked with radiating the heat)

Originally posted by: F1shF4t
That translates to about 85C for q6600 G0, 75C for q6600 B3 and somewhere around there for the 45nm quads.

FWIW the TJmax for G0 Q6600 is 90C.

See slide 15 of this Intel public doc.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: F1shF4t

FWIW the TJmax for G0 Q6600 is 90C.

See slide 15 of this Intel public doc.

My bad. For some reason I thought the TJmax temps for B3 and G0 were 90 and 100C respectively. :p (Doesn't make much difference, since its the delta thats important)

I'm not sure about the mainboard approximating Tcase. But the temps mainboards reported for me went from being up to 25C under core temps (MSI p35 neo-f) to being few degrees over core temps (gigabyte p35dq6).
My current is the closest with temps reported just around 5C under core temps.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Originally posted by: Idontcare
I'm curious how a bios/mobo would go about attempting to measure or approximate Tcase.

Tcase is defined as the temp reached at the geometric center of the exterior surface of the IHS during operation. I can't think of any practical way to estimate or approximate this by way of BIOS or mobo sensors.

/agreed

Dont forget you have to drill 380 microns into the IHS as well... :(