Q6600 or E8400..or...other?

revolutn

Dec 13, 2000
Need:

An Auto-Cad workstation.

This will be doing mechanical CAD drawings, not rendering The Incredibles II.

The latest version of AutoDesk's AutoCad 2009 will be used.

Can anyone speak to AutoCad and if it's multi-threaded enough to truly harness more than the 2 cores.

Basically Dell is our vendor and I'll be locked into selecting either an OptiPlex line like a 755 or the Dell sales rep is trying to steer towards a Quad Xeon from the Dell Precision line, but Xeon seems like over kill based on cost.

Open to suggestions.

Are 2 faster cores better than 4 slower ones in this case or vice versa?

Rev

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Can't answer the AutoCAD question but I can comment on the Optiplex vs Precision debate:

I would really recommend the Precisions, they are MUCH nicer machines. I use a 690 at work it is absolutely rock-solid (both literally and figuratively). My Optiplex 755 experiences haven't been nearly so great, with quirky behavior and sub-par build/material quality. The Precision is something I would seriously consider buying for myself, the Optiplex is something a secretary or my grandparents should be using.

Viper GTS

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For standard 2D drawings, I'd think you'd be better suited for pure processor speed, not more cores. I'd go with the E8400.

revolutn

Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
For standard 2D drawings, I'd think you'd be better suited for pure processor speed, not more cores. I'd go with the E8400.

Do you use Auto-CAD or are you just speculating? (no disrespect intended just asking)

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Originally posted by: Revolutn

Do you use Auto-CAD or are you just speculating? (no disrespect intended just asking)

I don't use it myself, but I got curious and checked their web site. In the FAQ for the product it says

6. Does AutoCAD 2009 support multiple CPU systems?
6. Does AutoCAD 2009 support multiple CPU systems?

Yes, AutoCAD 2009 supports multiple CPU systems. The performance of AutoCAD graphics and rendering systems will benefit from multiple CPU systems. [/quote]

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I did a google search for "autocad SMP" and I found this:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=4905
Q: Using multiprocessing in AutoCAD.
A: All Autodesk's CAD products based on AutoCAD 2000i, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and higher are multi-threaded, display operations run on multiple processors.

The WHIPTHREAD variable controls the way how AutoCAD uses the second processor (or core) for display operations.

* 0 - use only a single processor (as A2000)
* 1 - regen done on multiple CPUs
* 2 - redraw done on multiple CPUs
* 3 - both regens and redraws done on multiple CPUs

Multi-CPU and multithreading systems are used by AutoCAD also for other operations, e.g. for the mental ray rendering (2007 and higher), background publishing, xref loading, or for background loading of .NET Framework.

Intel processors with the hyperthreading (HT) and dual-core technology are considered by the operating system as multiprocessor PCs.

If that's the case, I would get the 4-core.

Also, forget the "quad xeon" idea. Xeon processors have never been a good deal. Unless you're running Anandtech, don't even think about getting a Xeon. Right now I'm looking at a C2Q 6600 setup on Dell's website (the XPS 420) for under $1000.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
I run ADT 2008 on both duals and quads and do a lot of 3d work, unless it's a huge model it does not make a bit of difference. My 2D CAD techs run on range of dual cores; you need to get fast disks a decent video card and as much memory as possible (4 gb on a 32 bit system)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
I did a google search for "autocad SMP" and I found this:

If that's the case, I would get the 4-core.

Also, forget the "quad xeon" idea. Xeon processors have never been a good deal. Unless you're running Anandtech, don't even think about getting a Xeon. Right now I'm looking at a C2Q 6600 setup on Dell's website (the XPS 420) for under $1000.

You just made my X3220 cry. Its a Socket 775 Xeon, cost almost on par with a Q6600.

but you made it cry and now its sad. :[

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
I would opt for a fast dual and memory...

As a side note I also had a Dell 690 at work. Dual xeon, 8GB and two 15K sas drives in RAID along with a 460 Nvidia card...the workstation rocked...really loud, but it rocked.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Revolutn

Yes, on a daily basis.

revolutn

Dec 13, 2000
I appreciate everyone's input.

I've definitely decided against a Xeon based on little cost/benefit ratio plus our current workstation image while Optiplex compatible, is not Precision compatible.

I'm still a little torn on the C2D v C2Q aspect of it all but I think I've got enough information to make up my mind ultimately.

Thanks again,
Rev

toschek

Mar 16, 2008
Quad for sure.

Your business is paying for it, so it's a capital asset and you're most likely amortizing the expense over 3 years. I would expect the Quad to have a useful life of at least 3 years, the 8400 probably 2 years before you get the itch for something faster or with more cores.

Since your app is multithreaded, you'll be happier with the C2Q for a longer period of time.

See if you can get a workstation with the q9450 or x3350 (xeon version of Q9450).

My .02 only.