Q6600 Instant 85 Degs (Brand New)

idealmind8

Nov 24, 2007
Hello, first off I want to apologize for your miss spells and grammer issues, I am working on about 2 hours sleep trying to configure my new system that I purchased on black friday.

I have:
Q6600 (new not overclocked)
P5k-E (Wifi)
630W power supply (RX-630 Modular)
XFX 8800GT
4GB OCZ Ram DDR2 800

As soon as I power on my Comp and get into Bios and check my heat temp, its 85 Deg and steady. I double check to make sure I placed the processor in correctly with the stock heat sync.

After about 1-3 min of running my computer just shuts it self down, I am assuming its shutting down because of the heat issue.

Do I have a bad processor? Maybe a bad mobo?

Also as a test I placed a huge industrial fan right along side my computer with the side case open, and still nothing change. I also left fan on the computer for about 3 hours while powered off, and the temp went from 75 Deg, to 85 Deg in a mater of seconds.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading

idealmind8

Nov 24, 2007
I tried that twice...and nothing...

but I will try again....willing to try anything at this point...

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Whenever you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you're supposed to use new paste (Thermal Interface Material or TIM). The first time you pulled it off, was the paste melted? It should've been.

It's obvious your heatsink is not making contact with the CPU. At stock speeds, you should be idling in the 40C range w/the stock heatsink.

The stock HS is a PITA to mount. You have to push the little white feet into the holes, THEN push the black pegs down into them. Check Intel's website for detailed mounting instructions for a LGA775 heatsink.

idealmind8

Nov 24, 2007
Yes the Thermal paste was melted.
I am going to get another heat sync, the stock heat sync is a major pain in the donkey.

I just thought of something tho, if the paste melted...doesn't that mean the heat sync was touching cpu?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: idealmind8
Yes the Thermal paste was melted.
I am going to get another heat sync, the stock heat sync is a major pain in the donkey.

I just thought of something tho, if the paste melted...doesn't that mean the heat sync was touching cpu?

Nope; just b/c the paste was melted doesn't mean it was touching (or fully touching) the CPU. Quads get so hot that even w/the HS hovering 2-3 millimeters above it, the heat would melt the paste.

You bought this computer prebuilt or did you builit it? There's a high probability that the legs of the heatsink got bent somehow and it's keeping the bottom of the HSF from mating fully w/the CPU. At this point, I'd not mess w/it too much anymore. No way you're going to get it "factory straight."

If you have a decent PC parts store near you, try to get something like an Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro or even better, a Tuniq Tower.

See the Cases & Cooling forum for more specific suggestions. Just stay away from anything w/LED lights and/or blinky stuff on it.

idealmind8

Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for your help, I picked up a V1 and now im running at 35C !!

Thanks for all your help

oh I got the parts my self from fry's.

now to read up on over clocking...

Thanks again

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: idealmind8
Thanks for your help, I picked up a V1 and now im running at 35C !!

Thanks for all your help

oh I got the parts my self from fry's.

now to read up on over clocking...

Thanks again

:thumbsup:

Sure, no problem! "More than I paid for!" is what overclocking is all about, my friend. :) What TIM are you using? Give it some time to break in (thermal cycle). I.E. When you go to bed, shut the PC OFF. Completely off. Let the TIM cool to room temp until the next time you use it. It's important.

Take it slow. Let you new rig adjust to itself for a few days. Then, beat the snot out of it. :D