q6600 g0 does not overclock! :(

TrECeNTeRs

Nov 13, 2003
Ok guys, I got this machine back during the big price drop when everyone was like OMG sweet the g0's are out I hope I get one!!11

And the price had dropped from like $500 to $300 or something... Been awhile...

One thing I never could overclock this puppy!

I was told all of these parts would be the best parts to get at the time... And I didn't have a money limit just didn't want to go over 4k or so .. Lol

Y'all always been the coolest people on the net and I appreciate your support now if only you all can figure out my problem...

Asus Striker Extreme.. MB

q6600 g0 - CPU

Thermalright Ultra 120

800mhz 4GB of Mushkin

750 Watt PSU - cant think of the brand "power and cooling?"

uhh.. artic silver.. cant think what else is important..

The case is the armor case with the huge side door fan then 120mm on front and back then one on the sink also... good brand..

2400mhz | 266 x 9 | 1.3v | 25c idle | 45c full load |

Seems every time I try to up the fsb on the core it just will not boot or if i do a tiny bit it will eventually boot.. Even unlinked the cpu in the bios from the ram fsb.. The asus nos stuff surely don't work at all..

Anyways lemme know what yall think when you got a chance thanks guys happy hollidays!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Set this

CPU multiplier = 8x
FSB = 400Mhz
Memory 1:1 ratio = 800Mhz (be sure to set your memory at the factory recommended voltage MANUALLY and set the timings MANUALLY to factory stock levels. I'd start out with 5-5-5-15 but you can go ahead and set it to the default speed)
CPU Voltage = 1.4v (this is just our starting point)
Northbridge Voltage = 2 levels up from whatever it is now (i.e if it's 1.32v stock set it 2 adjustments above that)

in your settings for CPU features turn OFF EIST, C1E, SpeedStep, Virtualization etc

Try that and see how it works. If it does it will put you at 3.2Ghz CPU with DDR2-800 Memory speed. Check your temps under load and see what happens. Test for stability using Prime95 or something similar for 12+ hours and then if it's stable you can try dropping the CPU voltage (vcore) down a bit at a time, testing it every time you make an adjustment. Then when it crashes in Prime95, you set it 1 step higher than that level and leave it.

Remember, do all of these adjustments in the BIOS, not from Windows. Also note whenever you increase FSB and overclock your CPU you have to remember you're also overclocking your memory a bit. So that's why you always set the memory ratio to 1:1 so it matches your FSB and doesn't try running too far out of spec. Also worth mentioning is you have to set voltage manually for your CPU so that the CPU gets enough power to run at the frequency you specify.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
If you have a Nvidia chipset, it's probby that... Nvidia's chipsets suck.. especially 650/680 series..

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Originally posted by: brxndxn
If you have a Nvidia chipset, it's probby that... Nvidia's chipsets suck.. especially 650/680 series..

That doesnt mean he cant overclock.. I have a 680i LT and it runs my Q6600 at 3.4 no problem....

Scottae

Jan 19, 2008
My DFI 680i LT only got my Q6600 G0 to about ... 3.15Ghz

Make sure your bios are updated

Phunk0ne

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Set this

CPU multiplier = 8x
FSB = 400Mhz . . .

eeehmm how about step by step instead of jacking his CPU @ 3.2GHz all at once. no cpu is alike, please do not forget that.

besides, of you have taken the time to actually check out what kind of motherboard he really has cmdrdredd, you would've noticed it's an nVidia chipset (680i) and not an intel P35, different settings, different BIOS.

Originally posted by: coxmaster

That doesnt mean he cant overclock.. I have a 680i LT and it runs my Q6600 at 3.4 no problem....

your overclock does not warrant TrECeNTeRs for a successful overclock. If you haven't noticed, the nvidia 6xx series chipset isn't really the choice for overclockers.

In other words TrECeNTeRs, you've got some work cut out for you. The 680i's are very notorious for overclocking.

Good luck!

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Originally posted by: Phunk0ne

your overclock does not warrant TrECeNTeRs for a successful overclock. If you haven't noticed, the nvidia 6xx series chipset isn't really the choice for overclockers.

In other words TrECeNTeRs, you've got some work cut out for you. The 680i's are very notorious for overclocking.

Wasn't saying that it did guarantee success.. I was simply saying that it doesn't remove the possibility. brxndxn said that the nvidia chipset was most likely to blame for inability to overclock. I have never once seen an nVidia chipset that couldnt get atleast a small overclock.

You might just need to bump the FSB, NB, and SB voltages a bit.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Phunk0ne
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Set this

CPU multiplier = 8x
FSB = 400Mhz . . .

eeehmm how about step by step instead of jacking his CPU @ 3.2GHz all at once. no cpu is alike, please do not forget that.

besides, of you have taken the time to actually check out what kind of motherboard he really has cmdrdredd, you would've noticed it's an nVidia chipset (680i) and not an intel P35, different settings, different BIOS.

Good luck!

I've never, not once found a G0 Q6600 that wouldn't do 3.2Ghz. I've installed at least 30 of them too. The failure remains in the chipset, but I've actually used an Asus Striker Extreme for a build with Q6600 at 3.2Ghz so I know it's capable. It could benefit from BIOS update, I don't know.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
hmm looks like you made 2 threads...

well from what i remember from my 680i oc'ing, you will need at least 1.25 - 1.3v on the VTT, and make sure to run your ram unlinked @ stock settings to keep that from affecting your stability (put all timings to auto). Also disable any spread spectrum settings. Try running 9x333mhz (1333mhz fsb) or 8x400mhz (1600mhz fsb) with cpu vcore @ 1.3 - 1.45v (set in bios, probably want to start with 1.4v set in bios first then fine tune it after you get an oc to be stable) as a start and push on higher after you get some stability.