• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Q: Who Is The Highest Paid Person In McCain's Campaign?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
18,191
1
0
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Descartes


No, it's not complicated. Almost her entire foundation rested on what was stated above: her hockey mom, joe six pack, just-a-regular-person, small-town-girl status.

It doesn't really matter where the money came from. The fact that she even has access to such opulence and the fact that she accepts it will remove her from "just like you" status in the minds of many.

All it does is further prove that her image is manufactured, a fact that was obvious to most people from day one. People don't like seeing someone they believe in turn out to be less than what they hoped.

Personally, I think it's a fairly silly point, but their own actions made it newsworthy and people are fickle enough to let it alter their decisions.

I think anyone with a brain would realize that things will change once you are nominated to be the VP candidate for the Republican party. The ONLY reason that this much money was spent on her is because she is now John McCain's running mate, she did not have access to this kind of money before that.

^^Wrong... That woman goes out and says she is campaigning AGAINST the Elitists... and fighting for the common man.. etc.. BUT can spend $1500 a day on makeup...


 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Out of fairness does anyone know who the highest paid person in the Obama camp is?
One thing we do know in the Obama camp they buy their own clothes.
Obama made $1.6 mil in 2005 and nearly a million in 2006.

Palin made all of $166,000 in 2007 and only $127,000 in 2006.

Obviously Obama can afford to buy $1500 suits left and right, Palin raising 5 kids can not.
But she could do a better job under Obama because he would give her a bigger tax cut than McCain! :laugh:
 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Descartes


No, it's not complicated. Almost her entire foundation rested on what was stated above: her hockey mom, joe six pack, just-a-regular-person, small-town-girl status.

It doesn't really matter where the money came from. The fact that she even has access to such opulence and the fact that she accepts it will remove her from "just like you" status in the minds of many.

All it does is further prove that her image is manufactured, a fact that was obvious to most people from day one. People don't like seeing someone they believe in turn out to be less than what they hoped.

Personally, I think it's a fairly silly point, but their own actions made it newsworthy and people are fickle enough to let it alter their decisions.

I think anyone with a brain would realize that things will change once you are nominated to be the VP candidate for the Republican party. The ONLY reason that this much money was spent on her is because she is now John McCain's running mate, she did not have access to this kind of money before that.

^^Wrong... That woman goes out and says she is campaigning AGAINST the Elitists... and fighting for the common man.. etc.. BUT can spend $1500 a day on makeup...

This.
 

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
2,502
0
76
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Out of fairness does anyone know who the highest paid person in the Obama camp is?
One thing we do know in the Obama camp they buy their own clothes.
Obama made $1.6 mil in 2005 and nearly a million in 2006.

Palin made all of $166,000 in 2007 and only $127,000 in 2006.

Obviously Obama can afford to buy $1500 suits left and right, Palin raising 5 kids can not.
What happened to the R philosophy of being fiscally conservative - living within your means?

So one person makes more money and that should reflect in the clothes he/she wears.

The problem with this issue is not the reality makeover of or the marketing of Sarah Palin. It's the hyprocisy. "We're all for small guy (who can barely save 150K over a lifetime let alone spend 150K on appearances in a few weeks) yet we are allowed to spend like 'elitists' to spruce up our own".

Another version of 'Do as I say not as I do'.

Oh and Obama wears $800-900 suits not $1500. Agreed they are on the expensive side but he can afford them and pays for them himself and not from DNC money.




 

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
2,502
0
76
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Out of fairness does anyone know who the highest paid person in the Obama camp is?
I would hope it's the guy who's in charge of the overall campaign strategy, because it's working pretty well and that guy (or girl) deserves a bonus.
We need more details. Why hasn't Obama released more information on this, what is he trying to hide? This is the important stuff that the Democrats are focusing on this election, he better get with the program.

Edit - That wasn't really directed at you. I know you, and the more sensible Dems/liberals like you, DO actually care about the issues. It's just unfortunate that this board has been taken over by the loonies recently.
Every election is like that though, if only because it's easier to make noise about nonsense issues than discuss what really matters. And it's easier for the media to cover as well, because the facts, if there are any, are easy to write down on cue cards. Actual analysis of McCain or Obama's tax plan, to give one example, is FAR more work than yelling "tax cuts for the rich" or "socialism!".
Its easier for hoi polloi to follow issues in short sound bites rather than look at the real issues. For one, it needs time to look deeper into the details to understand whats at stake and it requires the brain gears to start turning. Not exactly the preferred way for the lazy. After all if someone can give me my opinion in a few words I can remember, why should I bother thinking myself?


 

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
11,104
472
126
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I don't see what the problem is. Palin's traveling stylist is more important than a foreign policy adviser. This is right in line with republican values.

It's their (rnc or campaign's, slightly unclear) money, they can spend it however they want. However, they should never be allowed to govern or have any control whatsoever of taxpayer's money.

And, something no one has brought up: if she's so hot, why does she need all of this crap? Maybe she'd look like godzilla without it.
I know right? Beautiful, famous women NEVER spend large amounts of money on clothes, make-up etc.... This is definitely the first I've ever heard of a high profile woman spending a lot of money on personal grooming.

Honestly, if you think that it's rare for a pretty woman to spend a lot of money on clothes and make-up, then you've obviously never been in a relationship with a good looking woman.
Do you really want this to devolve into debating your sex life? Are repugs so desperate now that they'll stoop to this to divert attention?

The people who spend this amount of money on everyday stuff are the super-rich. Think about it for a second without the partisan pull - it's a boatload of money. 22,000 / 14 = $1500+ per day. Does that seem reasonable just for makeup? These super-rich usually are in the public eye and use their looks in making their money. Notice the phrase "their money" - this is not money from donations. And these people are not attempting to assign themselves to any 'average' category. They titillate people with the outrageous amounts of money they spend. This is what republicans are trying to achieve?

I haven't noticed any politicians running on their looks - well, except the ca gov. race a few years ago; there was that stripper. Politicians are supposed to campaign on substance - not their looks, right?
The left is making this about looks and how much a campaign spends on make-up, not the right. Also, I wasn't bringing up your sex life, I was just making a point. You tried to say that she must be really ugly if she spends a lot on clothes and make-up, I think you know that's a pretty silly statement to make. Two questions.

1. Do you honestly believe that only ugly people spend a lot on make-up?
2. Did Palin spend her own money on this or was it the GOP?
 

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
11,104
472
126
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Descartes


No, it's not complicated. Almost her entire foundation rested on what was stated above: her hockey mom, joe six pack, just-a-regular-person, small-town-girl status.

It doesn't really matter where the money came from. The fact that she even has access to such opulence and the fact that she accepts it will remove her from "just like you" status in the minds of many.

All it does is further prove that her image is manufactured, a fact that was obvious to most people from day one. People don't like seeing someone they believe in turn out to be less than what they hoped.

Personally, I think it's a fairly silly point, but their own actions made it newsworthy and people are fickle enough to let it alter their decisions.

I think anyone with a brain would realize that things will change once you are nominated to be the VP candidate for the Republican party. The ONLY reason that this much money was spent on her is because she is now John McCain's running mate, she did not have access to this kind of money before that.

^^Wrong... That woman goes out and says she is campaigning AGAINST the Elitists... and fighting for the common man.. etc.. BUT can spend $1500 a day on makeup...

This.
If it was her own money then I agree with both of you. Is it her own money or money from the GOP?
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I don't see what the problem is. Palin's traveling stylist is more important than a foreign policy adviser. This is right in line with republican values.

It's their (rnc or campaign's, slightly unclear) money, they can spend it however they want. However, they should never be allowed to govern or have any control whatsoever of taxpayer's money.

And, something no one has brought up: if she's so hot, why does she need all of this crap? Maybe she'd look like godzilla without it.
I know right? Beautiful, famous women NEVER spend large amounts of money on clothes, make-up etc.... This is definitely the first I've ever heard of a high profile woman spending a lot of money on personal grooming.

Honestly, if you think that it's rare for a pretty woman to spend a lot of money on clothes and make-up, then you've obviously never been in a relationship with a good looking woman.
Do you really want this to devolve into debating your sex life? Are repugs so desperate now that they'll stoop to this to divert attention?

The people who spend this amount of money on everyday stuff are the super-rich. Think about it for a second without the partisan pull - it's a boatload of money. 22,000 / 14 = $1500+ per day. Does that seem reasonable just for makeup? These super-rich usually are in the public eye and use their looks in making their money. Notice the phrase "their money" - this is not money from donations. And these people are not attempting to assign themselves to any 'average' category. They titillate people with the outrageous amounts of money they spend. This is what republicans are trying to achieve?

I haven't noticed any politicians running on their looks - well, except the ca gov. race a few years ago; there was that stripper. Politicians are supposed to campaign on substance - not their looks, right?
The left is making this about looks and how much a campaign spends on make-up, not the right. Also, I wasn't bringing up your sex life, I was just making a point. You tried to say that she must be really ugly if she spends a lot on clothes and make-up, I think you know that's a pretty silly statement to make. Two questions.

1. Do you honestly believe that only ugly people spend a lot on make-up?
2. Did Palin spend her own money on this or was it the GOP?
Another diversion. Or maybe everything has to be presented to you slowly. I'll try.

This is about the values message of the republican party.

palin just happens to be the medium.

It's also about hypocrisy.

Repugs are pushing fiscal responsibility.

It's not responsible to spend $1500 a day on makeup.

---

palin is claiming to be joe average.

The average person doesn't spend $1500 a day on makeup.

See anything wrong with this? If not, you're too simple for me to continue.
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
57,045
5,398
126
Everyone is over-looking the obvious...

The make-up artist gets paid more, because he/she has the most difficult job...turning an elitist far-right wing conservative (and religious nut-job) into someone that those in the center MIGHT find palatable...
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Everyone is over-looking the obvious...

The make-up artist gets paid more, because he/she has the most difficult job...turning an elitist far-right wing conservative (and religious nut-job) into someone that those in the center MIGHT find palatable...
:laugh:
 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: JD50

If it was her own money then I agree with both of you. Is it her own money or money from the GOP?
Doesn't matter. Doesn't fit the image that she is portraying, whether you like it or not. Oh, and for the record, I don't give a crap what she does with her or the GOP money. I didn't donate to her or the GOP. If the GOP doners are upset, I could see why but I don't really care one way or another.
 

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
57,531
3
0
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Everyone is over-looking the obvious...

The make-up artist gets paid more, because he/she has the most difficult job...turning an elitist far-right wing conservative (and religious nut-job) into someone that those in the center MIGHT find palatable...
Well then they aren't getting their money's worth as that horrible woman has no appeal to those in the center.
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
57,045
5,398
126
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Everyone is over-looking the obvious...

The make-up artist gets paid more, because he/she has the most difficult job...turning an elitist far-right wing conservative (and religious nut-job) into someone that those in the center MIGHT find palatable...
Well then they aren't getting their money's worth as that horrible woman has no appeal to those in the center.
Yeah...IMO, it's like painting the Mona Lisa on a pile of dog-doo...it MIGHT look good from a distance, but up close, it still smells bad...:D
 

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
1,787
0
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Out of fairness does anyone know who the highest paid person in the Obama camp is?
One thing we do know in the Obama camp they buy their own clothes.
Obama made $1.6 mil in 2005 and nearly a million in 2006.

Palin made all of $166,000 in 2007 and only $127,000 in 2006.

Obviously Obama can afford to buy $1500 suits left and right, Palin raising 5 kids can not.
The Obamas live within their means.

Perhaps Sarah Palin could stop squeezing out rug-rats left and right in hopes of bigger hand-outs. Oh wait, I thought that kind of logic was only applied to people in the projects.

YOU'RE OFF THE HOOK THIS TIME, PROFESSOR.
 

microbial

Senior member
Oct 10, 2008
350
0
0
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Everyone is over-looking the obvious...

The make-up artist gets paid more, because he/she has the most difficult job...turning an elitist far-right wing conservative (and religious nut-job) into someone that those in the center MIGHT find palatable...
Well then they aren't getting their money's worth as that horrible woman has no appeal to those in the center.
Yup, this.

She is now our official National Joke. THE Nation's Joke.

She will need lots more make-up to change her new title.
 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: CelSnip
What's the difference between this and spending millions on ads? :confused:

With the McCain campaign, nothing. They're both negatives (including 75% of his ads)! :laugh:
 

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
11,104
472
126
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I don't see what the problem is. Palin's traveling stylist is more important than a foreign policy adviser. This is right in line with republican values.

It's their (rnc or campaign's, slightly unclear) money, they can spend it however they want. However, they should never be allowed to govern or have any control whatsoever of taxpayer's money.

And, something no one has brought up: if she's so hot, why does she need all of this crap? Maybe she'd look like godzilla without it.
I know right? Beautiful, famous women NEVER spend large amounts of money on clothes, make-up etc.... This is definitely the first I've ever heard of a high profile woman spending a lot of money on personal grooming.

Honestly, if you think that it's rare for a pretty woman to spend a lot of money on clothes and make-up, then you've obviously never been in a relationship with a good looking woman.
Do you really want this to devolve into debating your sex life? Are repugs so desperate now that they'll stoop to this to divert attention?

The people who spend this amount of money on everyday stuff are the super-rich. Think about it for a second without the partisan pull - it's a boatload of money. 22,000 / 14 = $1500+ per day. Does that seem reasonable just for makeup? These super-rich usually are in the public eye and use their looks in making their money. Notice the phrase "their money" - this is not money from donations. And these people are not attempting to assign themselves to any 'average' category. They titillate people with the outrageous amounts of money they spend. This is what republicans are trying to achieve?

I haven't noticed any politicians running on their looks - well, except the ca gov. race a few years ago; there was that stripper. Politicians are supposed to campaign on substance - not their looks, right?
The left is making this about looks and how much a campaign spends on make-up, not the right. Also, I wasn't bringing up your sex life, I was just making a point. You tried to say that she must be really ugly if she spends a lot on clothes and make-up, I think you know that's a pretty silly statement to make. Two questions.

1. Do you honestly believe that only ugly people spend a lot on make-up?
2. Did Palin spend her own money on this or was it the GOP?
Another diversion. Or maybe everything has to be presented to you slowly. I'll try.

This is about the values message of the republican party.

palin just happens to be the medium.

It's also about hypocrisy.

Repugs are pushing fiscal responsibility.

It's not responsible to spend $1500 a day on makeup.

---

palin is claiming to be joe average.

The average person doesn't spend $1500 a day on makeup.

See anything wrong with this? If not, you're too simple for me to continue.
You accuse me of diverting yet you can't answer two simple questions, cute.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: CelSnip
What's the difference between this and spending millions on ads? :confused:
Theoretically, you can control your own ads - the content and the intended reception. The current way has resulted in more bad press than any opposition party operative could hope for.
 

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
11,104
472
126
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: JD50

If it was her own money then I agree with both of you. Is it her own money or money from the GOP?
Doesn't matter. Doesn't fit the image that she is portraying, whether you like it or not. Oh, and for the record, I don't give a crap what she does with her or the GOP money. I didn't donate to her or the GOP. If the GOP doners are upset, I could see why but I don't really care one way or another.
Sure it matters. I've said this several times already, but everyone just ignores it.

If Sarah Palin spent this much money on clothes and make-up BEFORE she became McCain's running mate, I'd agree with all of you.

Palin claims that she shopped at normal places, just like everyone else. Just because now that she is in the national spotlight and on the Republican ticket, and the GOP (not her) is spending thousands of dollars on her appearance doesn't change the fact that she previously shopped just like everyone else.

The left is trying to make it out like Palin is running around Sunset Blvd. throwing down $150k on clothes, which is just not the case. Their are plenty of legitimate things to criticize her on, you guys are just being morans.
 

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
28,563
3
0
In defense of how much the hairdresser and make up artist make.

First off, you need good ones. After all it is a Presidential election. Then you are asking them to give up their lives for about 4 months, and possibly their current jobs. Asking them to live a very strenuous life of the road. And probably having to find a new job after the campaign.
So, I don't have a problem with those two employees making some big bucks.
 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: JD50


The left is trying to make it out like Palin is running around Sunset Blvd. throwing down $150k on clothes, which is just not the case. Their are plenty of legitimate things to criticize her on, you guys are just being morans.
Listen, I'm not being a moron on anything. I said that it was their money (the GOP) and it was up to them to be upset or not, got it? I simply gave out why it "could" be perceived a bad thing and left it at that. I don't really care (except that you called me a moron, dumbass).
 

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
13,819
1,123
126
Originally posted by: techs
In defense of how much the hairdresser and make up artist make.

First off, you need good ones. After all it is a Presidential election. Then you are asking them to give up their lives for about 4 months, and possibly their current jobs. Asking them to live a very strenuous life of the road. And probably having to find a new job after the campaign.
So, I don't have a problem with those two employees making some big bucks.
Same. I could care less to be honest. They are making what the market for someone with their skillset demands.
 

microbial

Senior member
Oct 10, 2008
350
0
0
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: JD50

If it was her own money then I agree with both of you. Is it her own money or money from the GOP?
Doesn't matter. Doesn't fit the image that she is portraying, whether you like it or not. Oh, and for the record, I don't give a crap what she does with her or the GOP money. I didn't donate to her or the GOP. If the GOP doners are upset, I could see why but I don't really care one way or another.
Sure it matters. I've said this several times already, but everyone just ignores it.

If Sarah Palin spent this much money on clothes and make-up BEFORE she became McCain's running mate, I'd agree with all of you.

Palin claims that she shopped at normal places, just like everyone else. Just because now that she is in the national spotlight and on the Republican ticket, and the GOP (not her) is spending thousands of dollars on her appearance doesn't change the fact that she previously shopped just like everyone else.

The left is trying to make it out like Palin is running around Sunset Blvd. throwing down $150k on clothes, which is just not the case. Their are plenty of legitimate things to criticize her on, you guys are just being morans.
Palin's problem with the spenditure of X amount is symbolic.

Symbolic is not the same as trivial, I might add, and heres why...

The McCain campaign has used Palin as a symbol. She was meant to be a vehicle representing a complex set of thoughts codefied into one simple package. As such she is McCain's message. So McCain clearly meant for the symbol not to be trivial. The same happened with JTP (a slightly different message).

And in these tough economic times it really plays poorly when someone who is symbolic of a campaign message spends over 150K on frivolous shiit. Completely cutting across the grain from that message. It plays like hypocrisy, which is what it is.

Now here is the missing concept. It doesn't matter who spent the money, who had the idea, who did the shopping, who wears the clothes--It is John McCain's campaign message and symbolism that has been compromised.

Blame-game whoever you think is most responsible within the ticket--it sounds like the infighting between McCain and Palin is already heating up. Bottom line it was a McCain campaign mistake.



 

ASK THE COMMUNITY