PWMs to hot. :(

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
So I just bought a new computer. (Specs in my signature below.)

According to the Abit Guru system monitoring software my cpus idle temp is about 30 degrees, while the PWMs are IDLING on 110 degrees. This to me sounds nuts, but ok. :D So I started othos to check stability and temps.. The cpu went up to about 38 degrees, but the PWM temps (the software states PWM Phase1/Phase2/Phase3/Phase4/Phase5 all with different temps) jump up to 150ish.. According to the software the shutdown temp is 125 degrees..

So what to do? :D I suppose the lack of fan on my CPU is contributing to these high temps.. From what I understand PWMs are located near the cpu, aside from that I dont even know what they are..

Edit: I suppose I should mention I am currently running the CPU on stock, but I upped the RAM voltage to 2.2, it wasnt stable on the default 1.8.. Just trying to get it running stable atm.

Thoughts?

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
the pwms are those square little things to the right of the cpu socket.

they are basically power regulators. they overheat and your cpu gets wacky voltage.

you need to somehow cool them down. put a fan somewhere that blows into them.

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
If anyone running an Abit IN9 motherboard (or any 680i I guess) could post their PWM temps that would be appreciated. When I google it I get people with temps around 50-60 degrees.. HALF of mine. :(

And if someone with an IN9 could tell me exactly where on the board the PWMs are located that would also be greatly appreciated.. Would make it a little easier to cool them if I knew where they are..

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
just a thought...is it at all possible to put VGA RAM heatsinks on the PWMs? I'm thinking of the little blue Zalman VGA RAM heatsinks, possibly in conjunction with an 80mm fan @ 5V, would do the trick

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Looking at the IN9 (if the pics reflect what the OP has) there's a fairly complex heatpipe system on the board for PWM, NB and SB already.

If that's what's in there, you might look into rigging a fan to the larger section of the heatpipe cooler that's over the NB. Looks like a 50 or 60mm would be about right.

Sidewinder has some nice quality smaller fans, last time I checked anyway. I got a 60 x 10mm Delta from there to supplement cooling on my watercooled GPU. Excellent, quiet fan.

Found it - here

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
I just now placed a (temporary) 90mm fan about 2 inches above my cpu block.. This lowered the temps on the PWMs from 110 to 60-65 degrees. Very signifiant indeed.

So the PWMs are infact located beneath the part of the large passive copper heatsink thats next to my cpu? The monitoring software suggests there are 5 PWMs, am I to assume they are all at the same location? My NB doesnt seem to get that hot (idles at 40), so doesnt it make more sense to focus that added fan directly on the PWMs? By all means, correct me if I am wrong.. bit of a noob here. :D

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
The PWM is between the CPU and the I/O ports, yes I think you've got the right spot.

Cooling that section directly may provide more benefit for it, though the logistics may be more difficult. That big section over the NB just looks like it's begging to have a fan strapped to it :D which may benefit the PWM alone a bit less, but the overall heatpipe system a bit more.