Putting together system this weekend - Crucial M4 need to update?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by JJ24, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JJ24

JJ24 Member

So this coming weekend (UPS better deliver my GPU before the weekend) I am building my new gaming system... Wanted to check on anything special I need to do regarding the SSD..

Code:
    Final Build:
    Case: CM Storm Scout 2
    PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold
    MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 1155
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k
    Cooler: Hyper212 Evo
    GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
    Ram: 2x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
    SSD: 256mb Crucial M4
    HDD: 1GB Western Digital Blue
    Optical: LG 14x BluRay Disc Burner
    KB: MS Sidewinder x4
    Mouse: Logitech G400

I read the "New to SSDs?" sticky in this forum and it looks like its a really simple process with just turning on AHCI and installing Windows 7... But I was wondering if I need to worry about updating/changing firmware on the SSD I have.

I already have the Crucial M4 256gb in my possession (Just waiting on video card to be delivered before this weekends build) and on it the sticker says it has Firmware 040H installed. From what I could tell this is the most recent firmware from Crucial so I should be set right?

Just turn on AHCI / Install Windows 7 and enjoy? Can it really be that simple?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Putting system weekend Forum Date
    For those with a home server: put your drives to sleep or keep them spun up 24/7? Memory and Storage Sep 27, 2016
    Is your Hard Drive put at load when you Game? Memory and Storage Sep 2, 2016
    Put 2 drive into 1 cpu, is that possible? Memory and Storage Jan 11, 2016
    Can i put two 8gb ram sticks in a thinkpad t410? Memory and Storage Dec 30, 2015
    SSD is slow after putting system together. Memory and Storage Sep 8, 2012

3. Ao1

Ao1 Member

The latest f/w version is 040H. Chances are it will need updating. There is an update tool on Crucial’s web site:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/firmware.aspx

To determine which f/w you have:

Right click over one of your drives in explorer and select properties. Go to hardware and select the M4. Select properties > Details > Hardware IDs.

It would be advisable to update to the latest f/w before putting on your OS or loading data on to it.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. JJ24

JJ24 Member

Assuming this link works... See where on the 3rd line of text directly under the large Micron label it says "Firmware Rev: 0001"

On the SSD I have it says "Firmware Rev: 040H"
    [​IMG]

(I can't check it in HD Properties as you recommended since I dont have it installed in a computer at this time, planning on installing it in NEW build this weekend.)

5. LoveMachine

LoveMachine Senior member

You should be set to go. Now start building!

6. MontyAC

MontyAC Diamond Member

The 040H is the latest firmware, so your SSD is up to date.

7. JJ24

JJ24 Member

LOL I want tooo.... keep hitting refresh on the Fedex tracking ... waiting on my last delivery of parts to get here. but I have to work tonight and tomorrow so probably wont be able to do anything until Saturday :(