Putting Kitkat on the Nook HD+

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I got a used HD+ off cowboom for 75 bucks. While I like the minimalistic UI, I am wondering if putting the kitkat will give me access to anything better from google? Have any of you tried this?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The main benefit is the play store and access to the thousands of apps there.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
^ what he said.

In my experience the battery life is not as good with kitkat on there, and every once in a while, it restarts when I try to use it while it is plugged in.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
The really awesome thing about Nook tablets is you can install a custom ROM onto a micro SD card, boot off that, and leave the stock image on the internal storage untouched, basically allowing you to dual boot between stock Nook and the a custom ROM.

You will need a good micro SD card with fast 4K read/write performance to not slow down the custom ROM on the SD card too much. Most Sandisk microSD cards would be a good choice for this.

One good benefit of using a custom ROM on the Nook HD+ is being able to pair a bluetooth keyboard. Nook's stock UI has a bug that doesn't allow you to to pair BT keyboards or any device that requires a pair code.

Nooks stock UI isn't all that good in my opinion, you can add a third party launcher on stock Nook, like Nova and it helps. But it still doesn't fully resolve the stock UI weirdness. So putting a custom ROM on the Nook HD+ really helps it feel like a familiar Android device.

Standby battery life has improved with CM11. But I don't think it's still as good as Stock Nook. So that'll be a sacrifice.