Putting in More Than 2-Weeks Notice

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Is there any downside to putting in more than 2 weeks notice when leaving a job? We are very busy at work so I have no reason to suspect they'll tell me to just leave. And I am interested in seeing if they'll counter-offer so I thought giving them a few extra days may help with that.

I would be basically giving about 2.5 weeks if I told them next Wednesday (after I have signed and returned the new offer letter).

Any thoughts?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
If you want your current employer to counter offer, you should inform them BEFORE you give your notice. When you give your notice, your decision should already be made. Just tell them that you have received an offer from another company, and see what they say.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Giving more than 2 weeks is really nice to your current employer.... It gives them a chance to get their ducks in a row.... Other than that, it doesn't make much difference unless you want to get a counter offer as previously stated.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Giving more than 2 weeks is really nice to your current employer.... It gives them a chance to get their ducks in a row.... Other than that, it doesn't make much difference unless you want to get a counter offer as previously stated.

Right - also depends on the situation. In my position I would try to give them 3 weeks - enough time for me to properly train someone. I've got database applications running and I'm the only one that knows them. Wouldn't want to just leave them high and dry, especially because they are really good to me and management is for the most part awesome.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
My last job probably would have preferred more than two weeks notice. I left them a bit high and dry when I moved on, they were understaffed already and it takes them about a month to find someone. I didn't like the job at all but still felt bad about not giving them more notice because it was my co-workers who would have to pick up the extra hours. I didn't have much of a choice though because I needed to make a training session for the new and much much better job.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I gave 3 weeks at my last place. Didn't expect them to counter, but they did. If they're willing to counter it doesn't matter wether you give 2 or 3 weeks.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
doesn't everyone say taking a counter-offer is a really bad thing to do because then they know you aren't loyal and treat you like shit pass you by for promotions and stuff ?

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
doesn't everyone say taking a counter-offer is a really bad thing to do because then they know you aren't loyal and treat you like shit pass you by for promotions and stuff ?

Yes, that is exactly why the op should just man up and ask for a raise.

If money was your main concern at your current job then there is no reason to put a bad taste in their mouth by threatening to leave.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
why not. they rather you give more than 2 weeks than less than 2 weeks.

i usually give myself a few days to a week in between jobs. yes there's no pay but it's great time to do some of the things you have always wanted without using up vacation days

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
well even if they counter and i stay, it isn't a long term plan. Maybe 3 more years at the most.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: binister

If money was your main concern at your current job then there is no reason to put a bad taste in their mouth by threatening to leave.

It isnt a question of manning up and it really isnt over money. They'd need to give me more money and an increase in responsibility.

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
My thinking if the company really valued you as a employee you wouldn't have to go looking for a job to make more money. Once I would give my notice I would not change my mind. The job you will be going to you are allready going to make more money plus once you show off your abilities then more pay should follow accordingly.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Shouldn't you try to get a counter before you "Sign and return the new offer"?

If you sign an offer and then your current company has a better offer, you're really going to look like an ass if you try to cancel your signed offer.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dmw16
Is there any downside to putting in more than 2 weeks notice when leaving a job? We are very busy at work so I have no reason to suspect they'll tell me to just leave. And I am interested in seeing if they'll counter-offer so I thought giving them a few extra days may help with that.

I would be basically giving about 2.5 weeks if I told them next Wednesday (after I have signed and returned the new offer letter).

Any thoughts?

Well, if they tell you to take a hike, most companies do pay out the notice period. At least, larger/reputable companies do.

If you're looking for a counteroffer, though, giving notice isn't the way to go. You're better off setting up a meeting with your boss, ask them for whatever you want to ask for, and in some cases, let them know you have an offer you're mulling and set a timeframe for a response. If they balk, you can either give your notice on the spot or just leave it at that, give it a couple of days, then resign. If you go in there and give your notice, most companies won't counteroffer because the situation would suggest you're set on leaving. People who resign are usually unhappy with their current employment in general and a counteroffer just delays the departure.

So do you really want to leave or do you just want a raise?

And to answer your question, I gave 3 weeks at my first job out of school, offering to train whoever was taking over my duties. They ended up not being able to hire anyone in time, so I had a boring 3 weeks. If you have the money, give 'em 2 weeks and take a week vacation between jobs, its more fun.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

Right - also depends on the situation. In my position I would try to give them 3 weeks - enough time for me to properly train someone. I've got database applications running and I'm the only one that knows them. Wouldn't want to just leave them high and dry, especially because they are really good to me and management is for the most part awesome.

Yes, but if you gave two weeks or suggested politely that you'd like a raise, they'd keep you at a reasonable cost increase if your departure really would leave them high and dry. In that situation, I'd still give 2 weeks and let them scramble to counter (as long as you DO want to take the other offer if they dont, it shouldnt be a gamble).

Everyone is replaceable, they say, so if you really aren't (easily) replaced, you'd probably get enough of an offer to stick around. Use that one to your advantage, rather than giving them more time to replace. A bump in pay plus a management title/responsibility, if you don't already have it, would be an equitable remedy.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Depends on the company.
I gave about 6 weeks notice because I was planning to use 3 weeks vacation before leaving, so in reality it was a notice that I will work 3 weeks, then take 3 weeks vacation, then leave. It went well. I even got a profit sharing bonus while on vacation.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
I've been let go for more than a 2 week notice, some companies even with a 1 week notice. They know you are leaving and don't want to deal with you

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RandomFool
My last job probably would have preferred more than two weeks notice. I left them a bit high and dry when I moved on, they were understaffed already and it takes them about a month to find someone. I didn't like the job at all but still felt bad about not giving them more notice because it was my co-workers who would have to pick up the extra hours. I didn't have much of a choice though because I needed to make a training session for the new and much much better job.

Leaving isn't personal, don't sweat it. A company won't keep you if its not economically advantageous (dollars or otherwise) to do so, nor should you keep them in the opposite case. At-will employment shouldn't just be for the benefit of the employer, it sounds like you did the right thing.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000

Yes, either you ask for a raise or resign, but resigning to try and force a counteroffer is a pure gamble.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dmw16
Originally posted by: binister

It isnt a question of manning up and it really isnt over money. They'd need to give me more money and an increase in responsibility.

Are you still in the DC area (I peeked at your profile)? It's tough not to take an up or out mentality around here, it's that good a job market. If you really would prefer up than out, talk to your manager first. Give specifics on what responsibilities you want, the title, and pay. I've learned that promotions don't just happen, because frankly, not everyone even wants more responsibility. You have to make your goals and desires known to your management and then follow up to make sure it's on track to happen.

Of course, if the other offer is just astronomical compared to your current employer's pay scale for similar duties, it's hard to stay.

EDIT: OK, time for me to shut up in this thread.. sorry :)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I've given a company 3 weeks notice before voluntarily so I could finish up a big project I had started... it's never wise to burn bridges and something like that goes a long way, especially in the small world that is IT.

But your plan is not very sound, if you want more money then go ahead and ask for it and if you don't get it then bail (assuming you have a job lined up).

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
I was hired at my current job as a technician (I'm an engineer). I was unemployed at the time so the tech job was way better than the unemployment check. When I had my first review six months later, I told them that I really liked the job (I do), but the pay was forcing me to look elsewhere. What do you know, the president of the company himself promoted me and gave me a 33% raise.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
in your situation, giving them 3 weeks might make your departure more amiable, keep the bridges up kind of thing.