Putting an appliance out to pasture.

Nov 20, 2009
When we bought our first home at the end of 2000, we saw this Whirlpool Conquest going for $1799. This was Home Depot's sale price with it regularly listed at $1999. A friend suggested we try Sears scratch and dent, but they actually wanted more. Surprisingly, though, was Sears retail offered to match the price and take another 10% off the difference. On top of that, Sears had a special Line Of Credit program for first time homeowners and the unit wound up costing us something like $1600 in the end. We've now had the unit, model GD25DIXHB02 for 19 years and 9 months. Somewhere around the 5th-7th year it developed a problem with the kickoff capacitor (IIRC) and the cost to repair was less than $125.

About four months ago the ice maker acted it and water entering the tray to freeze hadn't emptied from the last cycle causing it to overfill and freeze the unit. I chopped through the ice and a day and a half later it started working again. While waiting to see if the ice maker would come back to life again, I found many aftermarket ice makers supposedly that would work with this refrigerator, and most were about $100 or less. But the unit returned to working condition and now four months later it just stopped making ice. I found a couple of online appliance repair websites for the DIYer and based on the symptoms * it was the IR (infrared) system that determines the height level of available ice in the bin and turns the ice maker off. Links from those DIYer sites to parts dealers wanted between $285-375 just for the parts (two boards, connected to molex connectors on either side of the bin in the freezer walls.

I managed to find the same parts on amazon for $200 but I had to ask myself did I want to drop $200 for a true DIY repair attempt and potentially waste $200 if that wasn't the issue? I'm fat and lazy but the idea of opportunity costs (meaning what can I spend $200 on elsewhere) keeps me from trying this. So, on Thursday I notice the equivalent Whirlpool refrigerator on sale at Lowes for $1629.99 in the same color black. But, the back-order went from June 28th to August 18. Checking Home Depot and Best Buys, both sell it with the same back-order condition. The next day I notice the status changes at Lowes and the wife and I rush into the store to buy, but the store was wrong. There is the Black stainless steel version, but at $1799.

"I cannot believe I'm willing to spend $1600 and nobody has anything to take my money," i said in despair and then waited for five or six seconds--testing the Lowes employee--and he says "I can match the price to the black one since we can't even place an order on the black one that is on sale until tomorrow." Bingo, here's my money. He did the right customer service gesture. I know these appliances have a large markup on them from the days of my youth when I worked in Best Buys and looked at the employee prices.

OK, so what to do with the old Bessie? Wife says get rid of it. I say put it in the basement alongside the other frig that does a terrible job at making ice. Getting rid of it later would be a bitch because the state and county have certain requirements when homeowners dispose of frig's and that requires a professional refrigerant reclaimer to come in and get the R134 out and hand you a certificate saying you did the right thing just to pay someone else to come get the appliance itself. Lowes $30 charge is to remove the old frig or move it to a new location in your home. So, what would you do?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Put it in the basement or garage and use it as second or third fridge. As for ice, just use ice tray like the old days. No big deal.

And if you ever want to get rid of the old fridge, GA Power has fridge recycling program. They will pay you $35 rebate and take your old working fridge for free to recycle. The recycling program is currently suspended due to Covid-19, but I'm sure they will start it back up soon once this dumb virus dies down.

https://www.georgiapower.com/refrigerator

Nov 20, 2009
I'd have kept the old fridge and bought a $1 ice tray :^D
I'm not a caveman. I want to reach into the thing and have ice in my hand to put into my big gulp cup. I go through a lot of ice in a day. I consume about a gallon of water a day, most of it begins as ice.

Reactions: purbeast0
Dec 10, 2005
i've never had a fridge with ice maker in it, that seems like luxury
I've never had a fridge with an ice maker or water dispenser. Both seem like both a waste of space and just something else to break on the fridge. What's wrong with using ice cube trays?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Once you have an ice maker you can't go back.

It's like backup cameras in cars.

You never realized how much you needed it until you had it.

Whenever I go to my moms house (house I grew up in) it is such a pain in the ass to have to get cubes out of the freezer to make a drink.

Reactions: Number1

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't make ice. I keep stuff I want cold in the fridge. for alcohol, the only cold drink I like is a G&T, so I keep the gin in the freezer, and the tonic in the fridge. It's cold enough.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Ice makers are great especially the ones on the outside of the door (when they work properly) but they add complexity to the appliance often leading to repair being extremely expensive.

If you want to keep your appliance simple is the best bet ... for example some old Maytag washers had essentially a big rubber plug connecting the wash-drum to the motor/drive system.

Every few years the plug would crack and need to be replaced ... a simple job which I've done myself on my own washer in 30 minutes or so for cheap.

Of course Maytag did away with it touting their superior "Direct-Drive" washer system which did in fact last far longer then one rubber plug but when it died often took the motor with it.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I've never had a fridge with an ice maker or water dispenser. Both seem like both a waste of space and just something else to break on the fridge. What's wrong with using ice cube trays?

Not good for folks with arthritis in their hands, limited mobility or just don't want the extra space in their freezer. Also, over priced short-lived refrigerator filters are what every home owner wants to spend their money on. Cloudy, crescent shaped cubes that form a "dam" in your cocktail glass are a blast at parties.

Ok, just kidding, mostly; some are much better than others, and they are a truly great feature when you want to ice up a small to medium cooler.

I often still use trays and bottled water to make ice for beverages, however.

Ice snob, I know.

Nov 20, 2009
One of the shortcomings in the outgoing frig is that there are only three small shelves. Yes, enough for ice trays, but other things typically use them because they are trays. The rest of the space is wired bins/baskets that a tray can't sit in. And there are pocket spaces on the door. When we bought this, remember we were first time home owners and just looked more at the frig capacity than the freezer, but that icemaker was a beauty as it managed to keep up with me, which is no small feat. The wife doesn't use ice but if she did then it would be a draw on the production.consumption aspect.

I went over to Publix and bought a large bag of ice and it lasted three days and cost $3.50-4.00. That's $400/year for the elevated caveman experience. :)