Putting a PCI exhaust fan next to my 4850 lowered Idle from 71 to 63.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Just throwin this out there, I bought a thermaltake exhaust fan and put it directly next to the 4850 on the fan side, the fans almost line up and the warm air goes out the back of the case.

It was like 5 bucks on sale but they are only like 10 normally. This is much easier and cheaper than an aftermarket cooler, not as effective of course but better than nothin.

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
I just put a antec 80mm fan near the card's fan , and it lowered my load temps from 87C to 70C in Crysis !!!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Cr0nJ0b
I had one of those a few years back, but the fan noise was aweful. I eventually pulled it out.

Are they quieter now?

They are pretty quiet when they are new, though I suspect they will still get loud and rattle after a year or so.
I bought a few of them after I got my 4850. Stuck one in the case, and when this one gets loud, I'll spray it with air, if that doesn't help, i can replace it.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I recently picked up a few of these because they were $1.99 on sale at MicroCenter. They're pretty quiet, but they don't push as much air as some of the beefier/louder ones. Its much quieter than a larger blue CoolerMaster one I bought years ago. I'd say they vent about 1/2 as much air as my GTX 280 at 60% just by holding my hand at the back of the case. For $2 can't really go wrong.

Still, they're pretty good for some of these cards that don't vent hot air outside the case. The nice thing about the Antec is that its so simple/cheap that you can actual reverse its orientation by unclipping it from the case bracket. This allows you to pull hot air from the back of a card as well as the front so that your card is sandwiched between two of these.

MicroCenter also has the Antec SpotFan for $10 still, which is a great case cooler for areas that need a bit more active cooling. You can mount it almost anywhere that there's a case screw and its fully adjustable as well.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I put my spare 92mm fan with a homemade ghetto shroud to force air into the air inlet and it dropped my idle to 38c and load to 65c without fanfix. The little fan is so whiny at 740/1100, i was urged to spend 5 minutes doing this mod, else I tear that thing apart.