Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31796226

"Vladimir Putin has admitted for the first time that the plan to annex Crimea was ordered weeks before the referendum on self-determination.

Crimea was formally absorbed into Russia on 18 March, to international condemnation, after unidentified gunmen took over the peninsula.

Mr Putin said on TV he had ordered work on "returning Crimea" to begin at an all-night meeting on 22 February.

The meeting was called after Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted.

Speaking last year, Mr Putin had said only that he took his final decision about Crimea after secret, undated opinion polls showed 80% of Crimeans favoured joining Russia.

The findings of these polls were borne out by the outcome of the referendum on 16 March, he told Russian state TV last April....

Shocking news.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
That is because Putin was tapping the comm line of U.S. diplomats talking about who they wanted to replace Victor Yanukovych after he was ousted. The U.S. backed coup gave Putin the perfect opportunity to grab Crimea. I am sure plans were well in place before Feb 22.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
That is because Putin was tapping the comm line of U.S. diplomats talking about who they wanted to replace Victor Yanukovych after he was ousted. The U.S. backed coup gave Putin the perfect opportunity to grab Crimea. I am sure plans were well in place before Feb 22.

Why do we keep overthrowing governments then acting surprised when it goes wrong?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Yes yes which russian state news agency did you get this information about a US backed coup in Ukraine?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Yes yes which russian state news agency did you get this information about a US backed coup in Ukraine?

I listened to the phone call between two U.S. diplomats talking about Ukraine. It is extremely rare for a spy agency to release a recording of foreign diplomats. It was released for a very specific reason.

I know there is nothing in the world that will convince you.... but Putin knew what was coming long before his late night planning session.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Why do we keep overthrowing governments then acting surprised when it goes wrong?

Because someone is the government thinks it is a great idea and pushes the plan. The plan is executed but it turns out there is no ending to the plan and no one knows what to do next.

Ukraine, Libya, Syria, Eqypt, and Iraq are all in shambles.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
To me it is not a big stink. LEts pretend this happened here in USA and Texas broke away.

At first many texans would overwhelmingly support the breakup but after a few years many will reminisce about the past and USA would always treat Texas as family.

Then USA would find the bad apples then will try to reclaim texas as they rightly should.

Secret files will be found and will implicate many. Now Texans will be torn when asking themselves should they return or keep it steady.

Many will find it was wrong to split. But tat the same time they will resurface the reasons why they split. USA would have to change so this does not happen again.

But in this instance I do not think Russia wants to change at all. So if no change then there will be more war in the near future.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I listened to the phone call between two U.S. diplomats talking about Ukraine. It is extremely rare for a spy agency to release a recording of foreign diplomats. It was released for a very specific reason.

I know there is nothing in the world that will convince you.... but Putin knew what was coming long before his late night planning session.

So you got your news from the Russia spy agency. Anyways, this coup in Ukraine must had been pretty good for his own party, one that favors relations with Russia, to vote to kick him out as well.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
To me it is not a big stink. LEts pretend this happened here in USA and Texas broke away.

At first many texans would overwhelmingly support the breakup but after a few years many will reminisce about the past and USA would always treat Texas as family.

Then USA would find the bad apples then will try to reclaim texas as they rightly should.

Secret files will be found and will implicate many. Now Texans will be torn when asking themselves should they return or keep it steady.

Many will find it was wrong to split. But tat the same time they will resurface the reasons why they split. USA would have to change so this does not happen again.

But in this instance I do not think Russia wants to change at all. So if no change then there will be more war in the near future.

The only problem I would have with Texas leaving the US is how it would change professional and collegiate level sports. Otherwise, until they pull their collective heads out of their asses, good riddance (note, pulling their heads out of their asses would start with never again voting for Rafael Cruz).

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004

thats NOT the same comparison at all. your fantasy and our reality are worlds apart...

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
So you got your news from the Russia spy agency. Anyways, this coup in Ukraine must had been pretty good for his own party, one that favors relations with Russia, to vote to kick him out as well.

The U.S. State Department verified it's authenticity. The rest of your post ... I do not know what to make of it so i realize trying to educate you on world events is a lost cause.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
The U.S. State Department verified it's authenticity. The rest of your post ... I do not know what to make of it so i realize trying to educate you on world events is a lost cause.
After seeing how little people know about stuff, you should get excited about investing :cool:

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Pretty substantial revelation. Unfortunately those who suckle on putin's lies will think the end was justified by the means and the rest of us already knew him a liar.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Nazis Annex Austria into Germany in Mar 1938.
Putin Annexes Crimea in Mar 2014.

Sudetenland annexed by Germany in Oct 1938
Putin fighting more in Ukraine

Germany invades Czech portion of Czechoslovakia in Mar 1939
Putin ????

Germany invades Poland
Putin ???

Way too many parallels, Yes I Godwinned, but I think its actually comparable at this time....

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Nazis Annex Austria into Germany in Mar 1938.
Putin Annexes Crimea in Mar 2014.

Sudetenland annexed by Germany in Oct 1938
Putin fighting more in Ukraine

Germany invades Czech portion of Czechoslovakia in Mar 1939
Putin ????

Germany invades Poland
Putin ???

Way too many parallels, Yes I Godwinned, but I think its actually comparable at this time....

Germany invades Poland
Putin invades Poland

The Poles always get invaded!!!

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Putin is not going to go after a NATO state.

Nibble around the edges, ferment unrest possibly.