Putin accuses Bush of advising the Georgians to attack regions for McCain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
-snip-
, why the hell would we believe Putin? He claims that Russia was invading Georgia to prevent 'genocide', which appears to be a total lie. In the next breath he's saying Bush is behind it all. This is stupid.

QFT

Fern

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: cubeless
wow... u mean bush is that smart enough to run an operation that gets all those things accomplished? who'd a thought? you'd have thought all those things were long term, strategic american goals (oh, that's right, even bo says they are)...
No he's not and his Admin isn't. I think it has more tpo do with Bush and Co dropping the ball and not realizing what was going to happen in Georgia.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's no coincidence that Russia invaded while France has the EU presidency. They are both scared shitless of a potential Obama administration. Their security relies upon the oppression and eradication of their minority groups as a demographic bomb approaches. France is particularly scared with their minority groups especially enlightened with Obama's story.

Really, this shows that while Obama may be the best for the US, his election may be worse for the world due to minority groups in other countries seeking full rights - causing their oppressors to eradicate them in retaliation.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think the "for McCain" part is a stretch, or Putin throwing rhetorical bombs into the US election to make trouble. But I really doubt Saakashvili would start this mess without implicit or explicit US backing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Okay. Georgia invades its own provice, Russia invades Georgia, then blames the US for orchestrating the whole thing.

Business as usual.

Well, he may have also been trying to push the Europeans into the American corner and it has worked. Europe has rallied around America and against Russia. They have also promised to expedite Georgia and Ukraine's entry into NATO. Finally, it expedited Poland's decision regarding the missile shield.

They rallied around us after it was apparent the BS coming from Moscow was getting a bit thick.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
But I really doubt Saakashvili would start this mess without implicit or explicit US backing.

That was made clear when he called out john mccain for providing nothing but empty rhetoric.

And Putin would never lie about such a thing. I've looked into his soul and see a good man.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
georgia has had a tremendous increase in defense spending..where are they getting all this money?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: K1052
Of course not a single iota of proof exists to support this allegation, which I find absurd that the US would actually advise Georgia to conduct such action while NATO membership is still pending.

True, but then again a lot of the theories made years ago about 9/11, the war, etc have come to light today. Nothing has been proven beyond indisputable doubt, but some of the ideas are damn near close or at least a portion of those ideas were very close. It has happened enough to the point where more Americans are starting to put more stock into conspiracy theories than they used to. Most still don't believe with absolute certainty that they are true, but you are seeing much fewer doubts. That is a very bad thing. The people are trusting their government less and less and it is not supposed to be that way. We should never fully trust them, but we should be able to trust that they are making the best decisions for the country even though I realize that is far too ideal of a situation to be happening 100% of the time. The point is that it should be more than what it is now.

So basically you're saying that the American people really believe GWB and Co. orchistrated 9/11???

That's fucking rich. Next you're going to say Bush Sr. had Kennedy assassinated.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: SlingXShot
I could believe it... because that's what I was thinking the whole time
Same here.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte
This is much too simplistic an excuse to believe.

I can't believe that Georgia would attack on the whim of President Bush with the faint hope that it will help McCain in the election.

The effects of a war (quasi war) between Georgia and Russia are long lasting and far reaching. I don't think in the grand sceme of things a favorable outcome for a particular US candidate would rank highly on the "fallout" list for Georgia.

ie, Georgia would be flatout stupid if they carried out GWBs wishes in such a reckless and worthless manor.

Exactly, Russia wants Obama to be in the white house, because then they know they will be able to steam roll through Europe and and their lost territory because Obama will use his great orating to make the Russians stop their march, mean while the Russians keep on expanding.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: dphantom
Gosh, for all the conspiracies Bush et al have pulled off over the last 8 years, Bush must be a fraking genius. And to think he fooled the smartest people around, those who always thought he was dumb as a doornail. Absolutely amazing how he did it.

I've repeatedly said I thought Bush was a pretty smart guy. His problems come from a profound lack of curiosity, excessive self righteousness, and a virulent anti-intellectualism.

That being said, why the hell would we believe Putin? He claims that Russia was invading Georgia to prevent 'genocide', which appears to be a total lie. In the next breath he's saying Bush is behind it all. This is stupid.

WOW!!! You actually refrained from bashing Bush in a post.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
What a crock of ****. The only person with lower credibility when it comes to the Georgia situation than Bush is Putin (and by extension Medve...lets just say Putin). This is reassertion of control over the former Soviet sphere and payback for what happened in one of their former allies, Yugoslavia/Serbia. The Georgians aren't blameless either, but they are *more* right than Russia currently is. They took Russia's bait when it came to be seperatist regions.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well one thing for sure, Russia is back in the imperialism business. But have evidently learned from their failures in Afghanistan and our failures in Iraq and Afghanistan. Because they have basically gone in quite brutally, caused a great deal of damage, and got out before it could turn into an occupation or quagmire. But it somewhat ignores US actions in Poland, I seriously doubt the Russians will stand for missiles to be planted so near to them but again GWB is planting a future seed for conflict.

I would like to see some of the smaller countries unite into a power block to keep various superpowers from using them or their territory as chess pawns.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: brencat
That's one hell of a chess player in the administration to accomplish all that. On the other hand, it could be just speculation, wild coincidence and more anti-Bush conspiracy crap from the lefties on this forum. My bet is on the latter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this has much to do with GWB himself, its more Cheney and Rice playing their cold war games at the same time that Russia has, flush will oil money, recovered from their loss of empire and economic reorganization.

To some extent, some of the previous GWB&co actions would have been unthinkable in a two opposing super power world, but the US had almost nothing restraining it in a one super power world.

And IMHO, Rice, Cheney, and various neocons have been all too eager various things without thinking things through, it may be great when it works, but when it fails, they get a hell of a lot of people killed.

Cheney is widely believed to be the hidden hand in the 2006 Israeli incursion into Lebanon, Rice urged Bhutto to come back to Pakistan in the hopes she would grant us permission to put boots on the ground in Pakistan while propping up Musharraf, of course the same people were behind selling the Iraq and Afghan occupations, and oops when 20 20 hindsight shows they were not smart brainfarts, they never learn and are as eager as ever to try something else.

And have public ally stated that having the opportunity to try something is an opportunity not to be squandered.

But at the end of the day, the measure of any administration is often not in what they did, but what they were smart enough not to do.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Let me get this straight.
So the new conspiracy is that Bush asked the president of Georgia to provoke an invasion of his country by Russia so that McCain can use this as part of his presidential campaign. Makes perfect sense to me :confused:

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Wow, I guess the Bush & Co really want to leave the White House with a bang. Screwing us royally for 8 years was not enough.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Websters new definition of a lemming/democrat.

Lemmings/democrates believe Bush is the dumbest man in the world and at the same time are convinced he is the world's puppet master that can pull off highly complex political manuvers WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE THAT HE DID IT.

Putin knows this and using it to his advantage and the lefties on this board are exposing themselves by falling for his BS :laugh:

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: dphantom
Gosh, for all the conspiracies Bush et al have pulled off over the last 8 years, Bush must be a fraking genius. And to think he fooled the smartest people around, those who always thought he was dumb as a doornail. Absolutely amazing how he did it.

I've repeatedly said I thought Bush was a pretty smart guy. His problems come from a profound lack of curiosity, excessive self righteousness, and a virulent anti-intellectualism.

That being said, why the hell would we believe Putin? He claims that Russia was invading Georgia to prevent 'genocide', which appears to be a total lie. In the next breath he's saying Bush is behind it all. This is stupid.

I agree and I was being facetious earlier. This was a Russian instigated plan. The preparation alone for this sort of move would take 60-120 days to move all the men and equipment. So it was coming. Georgia was stupid when it thought it could prempt a Russian move.

But no, Bush had nothing to do with this, this is typical Russian imperialism.