Question purging rootkit infection from BIOS

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What makes you so certain that you have one? They are rare and usually aimed at high value targets. I recently read posts from professionals, that there has not been any appreciable activity in bios infecting proof of concepts, let alone real infection distribution campaigns.

Not trying to debate you, insult you, or otherwise antagonize you, so don't take umbrage. It is simply that your having one is about the least likely explanation. A software or hardware issue is much more likely than a rare bios rootkit.

Reactions: DigDog

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
No, don't think I have one just ran across this subject in conversation and was wondering what the possible effects would/could be. And how to fix it IF it did occur. I found a post elsewhere suggesting that indeed reflashing the bios would fix. Thanks.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Given what I have read about them, I would be more prone to trash the chip or even the whole board, to be on the safe side.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yes, reflashing the bios should remove a bios rootkit. Although as others have already chimed in, i've never in my professional career seen a bios rootkit and i've been a tech for almost 24 years now.