Purely out of interest

Which device usage fits you best?

• I have a phone, tablet and computer mixed from MS, Google and Apple

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I have a phone, tablet and computer mixed from 2 companies (MS, Google, Apple)

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I have a phone, tablet and computer all from the same ecosystem

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have a phone and computer from different ecosystems

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have a phone and computer from the same ecosystem

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I regularly use a linux desktop as my daily driver.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • My computing needs are so wild and varied that none of the above are appropriate

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
I was just thinking about platform lock in. Do you have all MS, all Google, all Apple? Do you mix and match?

I realise people may have more than 1 phone, tablet or computer but this is just a general interest question.

Mar 11, 2004
Mix for me. Have a Win10 PC, Android phone although I was giving strong consideration for a Windows Phone or iPhone. I'd have mostly no problem using Apple stuff as well. I'm considering a Surface Pro for a tablet.

I don't get people that have religious fervor for ecosystems and hate that most companies are trying to lock you into one. They all have pros and cons.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Since we're an Android/Windows household we're mostly Google.

What if someone uses a mix of Windows PC's, Android phones and Apple iPad tablets? :eek:

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
My day to day laptop runs Win 10, I just bought a new ipad mini and my phone is a Moto X (2014).

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Have a couple WIN 10 desktops running here, and the wife still uses an older gaming desktop running Vista.

Well she used to, has been glued to her new little wireless tablet lately.

I do not even have a fancy phone myself, she has an android, and a new small Fire tablet she's loving for the price that uses a forked android OS I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451542408&sr=8-1&keywords=Fire

Seems to be a pretty nice little pad for the price.

I imagine Amazon is making a killing off those atm, especially if you have Prime.

I voted wrong, but not going to worry about it much really.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
GNU/Linux on the desktop, Android on the phone. I'm not especially fond of Android, but it's the best of a bad set of choices.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Windows 10 desktop computer, Windows 10 laptop (from work), Windows 10 tablet, Android phone. Works fine for me.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Win10 desktop and laptop. My two daily phones are lgv10 and note 4. I chose all three in the poll because I also own a few ipads. I don't use them much because they are pretty useless. I also have a tab pro 8.4 but don't use it much either as it is also basically useless. Seriously, tablets are useless. I use my Dell venue 11 pro for most things that I don't need my desktop for.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Complete mix and match. I have a custom built desktop on Windows 10, a Surface Pro 2 on Windows 10, a Macbook Pro Retina, a Nexus 6P, an iPad Air. I love gadgets and want to see what every company has to offer.

I also have but need to sell an iPhone 6, Lumia 640, OnePlus X, and Nexus 5.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Let's see... (devices in normal use only - total household)

2 Android phones
2 Android Tablets
1 Amazon FireOS Tablet (Android-lite?)
1 Win10 Tablet
3 Win10 Laptops
1 Chromebook
1 Win10 Desktop

Unused I have another 3 android phones, 2 Windows Phones, an iPhone, another Win desktop, a Linux netbook, and the OG Kindle Fire.

I keep on flirting with building another Hackintosh and/or buying a cheap used Macbook, but I know I'd probably never use it...

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Since we're an Android/Windows household we're mostly Google.

What if someone uses a mix of Windows PC's, Android phones and Apple iPad tablets? :eek:

Google should be an answer since you can have Windows and Apple devices and still get the google apps for your needs, so even though I have a mix of Win 10 and Andriod I would say I am primarily a google user.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Uh, depends. I have a Windows Phone, Windows 10 desktop, and a Surface Pro 2. So you could say I'm all Microsoft. But then I also have a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, an iPod Touch, and a Nexus 7 that I use regularly enough. Even a BlackBerry Q10 and Amazon Fire Phone that get usage here and there. It's easier to define what I DON'T have...and that's a Mac, an iPad, or Chromebook.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ecosystem wise I'm mostly Google. I tried/wanted to go Microsoft but their store and cloud stuff are horrible compared to Googles (even though I have an office 365 account with a bunch of storage and services thrown in).

That said I probably buy more content from Amazon (I have a fire TV).

Hardware wise...
The desktops in the house run Windows 10 and a bunch of Linux VMs.
The home server is freeBSD based.
All the phones run Android.
Laptops are windows and Linux.

So, pretty mixed really (apart from the lack of Apple) . It's just that only Google and Amazon have a store that works.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i consider google / Android to be the same as windows / MS. so i voted phone + desktop same eco.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
What I am using due to both available product constraints and monetary constraints (or willing spending limits) and what I'd actually prefer is rather different.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I am all in with Apple. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Apple TV and an Apple Watch to round it off. (yes, I have drank the Kool-Aid) My wife and kids all have Apple devices with the exception of their computers as they are Windows since it is what they use at school. It all works well together is why I like it so much.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I am all in with Apple. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Apple TV and an Apple Watch to round it off. (yes, I have drank the Kool-Aid) My wife and kids all have Apple devices with the exception of their computers as they are Windows since it is what they use at school. It all works well together is why I like it so much.
I do admire the cohesiveness of the Apple ecosystem. I hope MS is able to do something similar before Windows Phone dies forever.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
This is 100% me. Got an SP3 and ipad4 for work and android phone for my personal.

Oh the "perks" of working in IT and having to support multiple ecosystems.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It obviously makes the most sense to stick with all one ecosystem. You're running all the same apps, get the same alerts etc etc.