Puppy Linux, Dell USB 1450 Wireless Adaptor Problems

Oct 25, 2006
Hi, I recently installed puppy dog linux on a computer (2.8 ghz, 256 mb of ram, how the hell did this manage to run windows XP?). While the OS has been working great, I've been unable to get this adaptor to work. I can get the wired connection working fine and so I've downloaded lots of different packages to no effect.

The computer detects it just fine and has the right module installed. However, when I try to connect to my wireless router, it fails to connect. The auto DHCP button also does not work and returns with a message that states that it failed to connect to the server.

The wireless adaptor picks up my router just fine but I just cannot connect to my network. How should I go about fixing this? And yes, my password is in fact, correct.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It might be an encryption issue. Have you tried turning off encryption to see if that works?

Oct 25, 2006
As a matter of fact, yes it does work with encryption off. However, I still need encryption. I've been poking around encryption settings, and the wireless network in fact, connects to the router if I use TKIP, however it won't go online. The OS tells em that the network is connected and just fine, but the browser just says resolving host, then brings me to a webpage not available page.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
So it's getting a DHCP address? If so, check out your DNS in /etc/resolv.conf. If there's no DNS, check out the DNS settings both on your laptop (getting from DHCP?) and the router itself.

Also, what encryption are you using? Does your wireless card support it? Just try using only WEP, despite it not really being secure.

Oct 25, 2006
So it's getting a DHCP address? If so, check out your DNS in /etc/resolv.conf. If there's no DNS, check out the DNS settings both on your laptop (getting from DHCP?) and the router itself.

Also, what encryption are you using? Does your wireless card support it? Just try using only WEP, despite it not really being secure.

it does not get a DHCP address when encrypted. Without encryption, it works fine.

I was using WEP but it didn't work, AES didn't work, and TKIP is kind of working, but has the problem above.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Is there anything in the kernel logs (run dmesg to see the last logs in memory) that might indicate what the problem with encryption is?

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
(2.8 ghz, 256 mb of ram, how the hell did this manage to run windows XP?).

I have a machine that runs windows xp that boots up to 86MB used, it runs XP beautifully. Surfing, Youtube, all of that runs fine on it, it has 256MB of memory, and more often than not, even when being used, has some headroom. The processor isnt even as nice as yours, in fact it's quite a bit slower, by half to be exact. There should be no question that that machine would run XP, there should be no surprise there. Unless you were trying to game with it, have a TON of garbage in startup, or open a bazillion windows, XP will run just fine on that guy.

As for the issue at hand... I read and reread the thread to make sure i didnt miss anything, and I didnt see anything mentioned about a key, does it ask you, or prompt you for a key of anykind? Is there a key set? Ive never seen encryption in place without one. If it's wrong it shouldnt let you anywhere.

Oct 25, 2006
I have a machine that runs windows xp that boots up to 86MB used, it runs XP beautifully. Surfing, Youtube, all of that runs fine on it, it has 256MB of memory, and more often than not, even when being used, has some headroom. The processor isnt even as nice as yours, in fact it's quite a bit slower, by half to be exact. There should be no question that that machine would run XP, there should be no surprise there. Unless you were trying to game with it, have a TON of garbage in startup, or open a bazillion windows, XP will run just fine on that guy.

As for the issue at hand... I read and reread the thread to make sure i didnt miss anything, and I didnt see anything mentioned about a key, does it ask you, or prompt you for a key of anykind? Is there a key set? Ive never seen encryption in place without one. If it's wrong it shouldnt let you anywhere.

There is a section to input the key into the network manager. Yes the key is correct. Currently with TKIP I'm getting the incredibly strange problem of the adpator connecting just fine and even getting the DHCP stuff, but the browser hangs on connecting to the server, and just returns a page not found error

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
There is a section to input the key into the network manager. Yes the key is correct. Currently with TKIP I'm getting the incredibly strange problem of the adpator connecting just fine and even getting the DHCP stuff, but the browser hangs on connecting to the server, and just returns a page not found error

Using TKIP, can you ping a site, say "ping google.com"?